- the very first night my husband leaves town for business trips. I’ll admit it. Freely. Without guilt. Usually that first night is a bit of bliss where I control the remote.... the laptop..... the meals...... my destiny. However, this love for the Absence of X decreases exponentially and by the 3rd night, I am ready for his Sock Strewing self to GET HOME already.
- old friends. It’s cool having friends who know you and where you’ve been. I had dinner with CG last night and it was really nice. My life is pretty good right now and if anyone can appreciate it, CG can – he certainly saw me cry in my beer enough when I was in my 20s. Sometimes, with new friends, I feel weirdly sheepish about my life now because I have odd hang-ups about money, but with old friends there is no need. They know you don’t take anything for granted.
- a cool autumn breeze with leaves rustling across the yard. I LOVE that rustling sound. Also, I enjoy walking through the grass and feeling the crunch of the leaves under my heels. If I'm feeling frisky, I like to kick 'em around a bit.
- numbers. In particular, the number 3 by itself or even numbers divisible by 3 or 5. Um, yeah, so 15 is a pretty rockin’ number for me. It bugs me that my birth year is an odd number because the month and day are even numbers. I love that Arun was born in '05 - it was nearly perfection because he was born one day off from his due date of 10/15/05. So close! Don’t ask, I can’t explain it. Don’t we all have a quirk like that? No?
- purchasing a book. It doesn’t matter if it is used or new, but the purchase of a book gives me a weird cozy feeling mixed with excitement. A book can hold a lot of things in its pages and that gets my blood going. Second to purchasing a book, I love STARTING a book. The initial crack of the page, reading the dedication – a prologue is just Literary Foreplay. Again, with the Not Asking. Refer to #4.
- incense. X HATES incense. Isn't that against the law for an actual INDIAN not to like incense? Shouldn't incense be a part of his genetic makeup or something? It's bad enough he doesn't have the lilting accent and refuses to do the Asian Head Bob. Anyway, read #1 and add that to the list of things this Mouse loves to do whilst the Cat is Away - BURN INCENSE. My veddy, veddy favorite is Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa, but I also like Shanthimalai Nag Champa. Assuming, I got the names correct. I AM white, after all. What the fuck do I know?
- a yummy bowl of guacamole and salsa. When I say I am craving Mexican food, what I'm really saying is that my system needs some guac and salsa. An IV headed directly to my hips would be mighty convenient, although I think the guac would just gum the whole thing up.
- washing dishes. I’ve said this before, but it’s true. Although we have a dishwasher, I still hold back a few items for handwashing. My favorite sponge is the Choreboy and my favorite dishwashing liquid is Dawn Ultra. I have a special holder for the sponge so that it can dry out between washings. I get very irritated if someone doesn't 1) sorta rinse the dish beforehand and instead just swipes the sponge through all the muck and 2) if they don't put the sponge back in its little holder. Really, I just prefer people not wash dishes at my house. Thank you, but NO thank you. No Sirreee.... Have a cup of coffee. Sit back, relax........See? I wasn't kidding. ILOVE washing dishes.
- that first sip of coffee in the morning. It's the BEST. Once in a very, very great while, I still miss that first morning cigarette that used to accompany the joe. Fortunately, I don't miss the cigs that much or even that often. Since we're on the topic, I also love NOT smoking. Once in a very, very great while I get wistful for a drag, but I don't crave it. I will never smoke again. Over 6 years and counting! Stick THAT in yer pipe and smoke it. Or, maybe not.
- clearing clutter. I cleaned our garage on Saturday and it made my day. I think it may have made me a little high - or maybe that was the incense. The rest of the day was just lovely because I had accomplished something that day and it allowed me to relax.
- buying my annual wall calendar. It's a careful decision because !Damn! You have to look at the thing ALL YEAR LONG. Cripes, better not screw it up. Decision 2007 is just around the corner. The pressure.
- Bloglines. Because of this handy dandy web-based application I am reading easily 3 times as many blogs as before. No more endlessly clicking links to check for updates - Bloglines does that for you. Bloglines is gonna be my new BFF this November as I scavenge Fussy for new addictions, er, blogs......
- Halloween - we had nearly 90 trick or treaters last night and it was so much fun. I was so sad to pack away my Halloween decorations yesterday. Is this where I admit I already have an idea for Arun's costume next year?
Baby Einstein Meets Professor McGonagall and Shows Her Who's Boss.
A Couple of Hams.
Yeah! Had my first divine sip of morning coffee while starting to read your post.
#5 is the best. #25 the bestbest.
I'm strangely disappointed that X doesn't lilt. Now I have to replace the voice I've assigned him. Please don't tell me he has a Midwest accent. I think I'll assign him a nice, cultured DC one.
Thank you for posting the great 'meeting of the minds' picture. Your sister scares me. I haven't the smallest creative costume bone in my body.
Thanks Cagey, I enjoyed dinner last night as well. It's always good to catch up with old friends. I wasn't far off on that whole dozing by the time I hit the triangle, I was headed for a serious food coma after that chicken parm.
I must admit I didn't know about number 4 on your list...weird, but funny :).
I finally got my lastest post to actually post. I wont be doing the daily thing like you since I don't shoot pics every day, but I'm off to a decent start thanks for the inspiration.
Photobug AKA CG
3) yeah, yeah, yeah, rub it in
4) I love the number 3 and 5 especially. However, I was sort of glad that Alex was born on 10/4 because I felt it had a better ring to it then 10/3, which just seemed off.
5) Books give me the same experience. I hope my son develops it as well.
6) No lilt! Well, that's no fun. Can I admit to sometimes on my long drives home I tell stories in an Indian accent talking about the surroundings based on a conservative Hindu who just arrived from India's point of view? My ex used to find it quite hilarious, haha.
10) I love organizing and purging, I feel like I've cleansed my soul when finished. My relaxation quotient is also dependent on my lists of completed tasks.
12) I'll have to check that out to stop looking like a stalker, lol
I love the photo of you two! You guys look so awesome in your costumes! That hat is AWESOME.
I'm not surprised X hates Satya Sai Baba incense because even *I* hate Satya Sai Baba, that fraud. I'd probably protest his incense, too.
Great photographs as usual.
On books and reading: do you know the first piece of furniture I'm going to buy when I move? One of those long cushy chaise lounge chairs. The ones were they're built so you can stretch your legs out, curl up with a soft blanket and READ. One of the really plushy ones (the chair I mean)
Of course, the price just gave me a heart attack, but that's because it's restoration hardware.
X does have an accent, although he won't be asked to voice any of the characters on the Simpsons anytime soon. Ahem. The only thing he does that is entertaining is use weird words that I make fun of only to find out later the joke is on ME because they are ACTUAL words used in BRITAIN.
Satya Sai Baba is a fraud? Be still my heart. See, I told you I didn't know what I was talking about!
Wait, is it the old dude with the white hat and kindly face or the one in the coral robes and the fro? Because the latter is a well-known fraud and molester of young kids of his devotees...the first one, well he lived too long ago for me to know any sordid details. But then, I'm not a huge fan of India's god-man cults anyhoodle.
Love Nag Champa! LOVE! And it's kinda funny that us white girls like it and your hubby doesn't. It's all just hype, I guess! oh well.....I like it anyway.
And your weirder than I originally thought....loving washing dishes? *shakes head*
Also, that's a great picture of you guys....and that is one of the cutest baby costume ideas I've seen. =)
Sathya Sai Baba is a charlatan. Please do not buy his incense since the money obviously will land up with that alleged paedophile. The fact that Prime Ministers and Presidents are his followers does not excuse his sinister behavior.
Um, I don't think I will be buying the Satya Sai Baba incense again. Damn.
Hey if you love the number three so much why didn't you then make #4 on your list #3?
Great list, BTW. Really enjoyed reading it.
You and Arun both look great in your costumes. And (witch)hats off to your sister for that bacon and eggs costume!!!! Fantastic!
LOVE the photo of you and Arun in costume - what a great picture.
I also can't believe that you've been smoke-free for 6 years - I remember you smoking (and quitting)! Has it really been that long ALREADY?
Etsy that motherfucking toast tote. I would buy two.
I just got a big ole grin seeing these pics.
Bacon and Eggs!!! He wanted to be bacon and eggs!! I am kid-smitten. Kudos to your sister for not steering him toward Leonardo the 25 year old Turtle.
And: numbers. Natch. I was born on 7/7/70, and thus had my 7th birthday on 7/7/77. Good stuff, maynard.
Great Bacon n' eggs!
Post a Comment