- ABC 20/20 is airing a special on poverty in America tomorrow - I had already set it up on my DVR, but came across this article as well. The article makes the valid point that we see more images of poverty in other countries than in our own. I think it has do with the feeling in America that you "can achieve anything you want to, if you really want to" (aka The American Dream) and therefore, we have less sympathy for poverty-stricken folks living here, than in other countries.
- I've confessed my anti-lotion sins here before - I just hate the way they feel on my skin. Despite this, I am a total sucker for flowery scents, hotel freebies, and department store samples, so the selection of lotion rotting in my bathroom is not scant. However, NewKid apparently is making my skin very itchy. I am here to tell you that on Tuesday I had Come to Jesus moment and the saviour was Continuous Comfort Curel. OH MY GOD. (Cue the Choir) You apply this stuff right after a shower in the morning and still by that evening your skins feels like skin as opposed to say, a strip of sandpaper. OH MY GOD. Of course, many thanks are owed to Amalah for this suggestion. Today, I even purchased another bottle for Arun's room.
- Thank you for all the incredibly thought provoking comments this week on what could have been perceived as "controversial" topics. In particular, I was a little nervous about the whole "Moms Face Off" post but instead, all I received were totally cool comments talking about all sides of the issue. I always encourage dissenting views because that is the only to LEARN. When a blog's comment section turns into a huge Kissy Face Fan Fest, I usually stop reading them at that point. Anyway, awesome comments from awesome friends. There is so much meanness and negativity going on in the blogworld these days and I like that my own little Neck o' the Blogs has remained sane.
- Speaking of negativity, I am a bit weary of the celebrity snark sites. When a blogger gets snarked on they get pissed off about it, but yet it is okay to snark on celebrities? I fail to see the difference when we are ALL putting ourselves out in a public forum. Oh sure, I like to read gossip rags, but more so for the random snaps and fashion photos since it's obvious the "new breaking" stories are basically lies concocted after a few rounds of martinis.
- I did some serious, serious price comparisons today at Wal-Mart that involved pulling out Hen House AND Target receipts. For the particular purchases I made today, there was never more than a 30 cent difference and with the Curel purchase Wal-Mart was even higher. I loathe shopping at Wal-Mart, the aisles are narrow, the endcaps over-crowded and I hate how they bag your items on a little turn-stile thingie and half the time you can't be certain you got all of your purchases. I even had to remind the guy to give me my last bag. However, I had convinced myself that Wal-Mart was cheaper, so attempted to be fiscally responsible today. Bah. No More Wal-Mart.
I am going to live on the edge today and post this without a final proofing. Gulp.