August 22, 2005

Ready or not?

It’s a Universal Truth: Even though your sick, whiny husband annoyed the crap out of you the entire previous week, your heart still breaks a little when he leaves for a 5 day business trip. You may even get a little teary-eyed.

Suburban Showdown: So, I can see out my window that the ChemLawn dude is in the BACK yard and I can hear the lawnmowing service in the FRONT yard. How will they navigate this tenuous relationship? Cool - I wonder if they will brawl?? Too bad the housecleaners aren't here. Then my lily-white pampering would be complete, eh?

Northside Neighbor(NSN) Update: So, the Previous Owner (PO) to our house came over the weekend to finally reseal our deck. Something he promised to do in April of LAST YEAR when we made the offer on the house and he was still living in the house....... oh, but I digress. Anyway, I tentatively asked how the NSN was - what kind of neighbor she was, that is. He laughed and kind of said “eh, eh” as he shrugged his shoulders. Then, I told him how NSN came stomping over to complain about Harry being in your yard. PO then asks if that happened to be a Tuesday. I wasn’t sure, but I did check the date (the great thing about blogs - a virtual diary of your life, eh??) and sure enough, it WAS a Tuesday night. Well, according to PO that is her “drinking night” because she doesn’t work on Wednesdays. Guh-reat. Furthermore, her husband just recently left her, so her life is upside down right now. PO recommended that we play nicey-nice with her to her face, but basically ignore her and keep the darn cat. Sounds like a plan. I did get a kick out of the fact that the PO is still up on all the neighborhood gossip even though he hasn’t lived here for a year.

Six Feet Under-Rated: Last night's episode blew me away. Okay, maybe not the entire episode itself, but rather the montage at the end. I watched it twice and may watch it again. Very disturbing, compelling, inspiring, heart-breaking - yet oddly satisfying because there were very few question marks left. Wow. The only bad thing about the episode is that I had very disturbing dreams last night - so this coupled with X still being pretty sick and his impending trip today - throw on some pregnancy hormones and well, let's see WHO really COULD sleep with all that.

Kid Overload: In the span of a weekend, we had the opportunity to spend time with a 7 year old, 1.5 year old, 2.5 year old, and a 10 month old. All boys. All full of gusto. All going 90 MPH. Both houses in possession of electronic keyboards with pre-set music. With loud volumes. Everyone keeps asking me if I am “ready” for the Freeloader. This weekend only served to prove that I am SO not ready. Although, I will admit that the 10 month old was so fucking adorable that I now know what Finslippy means by saying she wants to “eat her son”. The kid was SO CUTE. The fun thing about these visits, though is that the 2 couples we spent time with (1 couple on Saturday and the other on Sunday) is that they are from India and Romania, respectively. It was great to hang out with couples that have different perspectives on parenting. In short, these couples were MUCH more relaxed in their parenting styles than many of my American friends. They also didn’t have any hang-ups about what WE thought - i.e. if their kids were behaving or not (Note: other than normal meltdowns the kids were all GREAT. It's just that when they did cry or fuss, the parents were unapologetic and lackadaisical about it - and why shouldn't they be? I am damned cranky myself when tired and hungry or newly emerged from a nap.). I was also relieved to learn that the Indian couple fed their babies curries from the get-go of moving to solid foods - no having to prepare separate meals. Actually, they think it is quite interesting that many Americans have this thing about thinking babies need bland food. Finally, it was nice when they asked the usual polite question of "have you gotten the nursery done?" that they didn't look at me like I was an oddball when I admitted that 1) NO, I haven't decorated the nursery and will only be putting up a cursory amount of said decorations and that 2) at this point, the crib probably won't even be here by the time the kid is born (and it doesn't even matter, because he is sleeping in our room for the first 4-5 months anyway). Overall, it was a nice experience this weekend and it was great to be around relaxed parents - because that is what I want to be. I didn't wait this long to have a baby then to not enjoy it while stressing over every little thing that pops up. Life is too short.

Anyway, for now, I will continue to cherish the fact that I can still come home to a quiet house free of ugly plastic toys that only come in crap-ass primary colors.

No comments: