November 16, 2005

Can something random still be planned?

In another desperate bid for a Monkey Free post, I present for you 20 Random Things About Me- an idea stolen from Diana over at Piffle . Why Memes are the proverbial low-man in the realm of Blogging Material, I will never understand. I think they are fun to read AND fun to write.

You be the judge:

1. I LOVE playing cards - my favorite games are Canasta , Cribbage , Euchre , and Russian Bank

2. I have a terrible temper, but it burns out quickly. I need to work on this, obviously.

3. I enjoy washing dishes and for years, used my dishwasher as a drying rack. Even though I now use the dishwasher regularly thanks to pressure from X, I still wash quite a few by hand.

4. I collect Mad Magazines - I have many vintage copies from the 60s and unashamedly, I still add to my collection.

5. I was a practicing Muslim for 4 years in my early 20s. I didn’t cover my head, but I did do the prayers in Arabic and some of the fasting during Ramadan. The Muslim call to prayer still brings tears to my eyes because it is so beautiful.

6. I am now a Catholic, but will still teach my children the basic principles of most of the major religions. I don’t think you go to heaven or hell based on what you BELIEVE, but rather on what you DO.

7. My favorite concert of all time was a Pink Floyd concert. And I was completely sober during it. Oddly, my own mother had better seats than I did at that very concert.

8. Going to Pompeii in 2003 was the fulfillment of a lifelong dream for me - I had always wanted to go since I had first read about the city . It was very surreal when I finally made it there after so many years of dreaming about it since I was a child.

9. I flip for sunflower seeds - I am very particular about the brand I buy, the freshness and the storage of them. My favorite way to spend an afternoon is with a good book and fresh bag of seeds. When I went to Pakistan, I took 6 pounds with me - 1 pound for each week there. I ran out in week 4 because I was reading so much during the hot daylight hours when we stayed in the house.

10. I am currently reading Bee Season by Myla Goldberg. It is excellent so far and will make for an insightful discussion topic in the book club for which I am reading it.

11. I just finished The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler. It was a good book, but ironically I did not read it for a book club. Sadly, it would have been a great discussion topic and I wish I would have saved it for a book club selection.


12. In 1987, I won the award for “Outstanding Crew Member” at the McDonald’s in which I worked at the time. The plaque is hanging in my office right now.

13. I collect coins and paper currency. I have a pretty extensive foreign money collection - my two favorite coins are from Kenya and Israel. My two favorite pieces of paper money are from Singapore and Lebanon.

14. I love to drive fast. The fastest I have ever driven was 110 MPH. It scared the crap out of me, but it gave me the best adrenaline rush EVER.

15. It really irritates me when people automatically assume I don’t like dogs just because I am a cat owner. I LOVE dogs - I just haven’t had a lifestyle conducive to owning one lately.

16. I am currently listening to Madonna’s new album “Confessions on the Dance Floor”. It totally ROCKS.

17. I used to run Cross Country in high school and 10K races on the weekends. I didn’t really enjoy running long distance, but I loved the workout and had the best track seasons afterwards as a result.

18. Oprah irritates the crap out of me, but I still watch her.

19. In Junior High, some kids made fun of me by calling me Dictionary Girl because I used big words they didn’t understand. Little did they know, I was secretly proud of the nickname because I actually DID read the dictionary as they claimed.

20. My favorite currently running TV shows are Arrested Development, Everybody Loves Chris, My Name is Earl and Veronica Mars.

No comments: