June 11, 2007

Why does your OB-GYN leave the room while you undress when she is going to be "all up in your business" anyway?

New Kid Status
I had my 36 Week OB appointment on Friday - I'm 2 cm dilated, 0% effaced. NewKid is definitely in the launch position, head down, so that is awesome, but nothing else is really going on. I am definitely in some varying degrees of pain, which is WAY earlier than with Arun, so I am suspicious as to whether this kid might show her face earlier than expected. The one saving grace is that except for stumbling to the bathroom all night long, I am able to sleep like a rock at night. Also, I've only gained 16 lbs thus far, so Whole Foods cinnamon rolls?? BRING. IT. ON.

Shameless

I haven't pimped my BoobLog lately - yes, my breasts still reign supreme, they just aren't up to much yet. I posted there today about X for Father's Day. As a special bonus, he granted me a One Day Only, Get Out of Jail Free card to use his Real Life name. I've had a few folks ask why I call him "X". It actually started out as Mr. X and was a play on those Victorian novels where the author wouldn't use real names and instead, referred to people as Mr. and Mrs. X (Anna Sewell's Black Beauty comes to mind). That always mystified me and I thought it was silly. After awhile, I got too damned lazy to type "Mr." and just started calling him X. A few of my Real Life friends actually refer to him as X all the time now. Anyway, these past few months have been stressful - the Big Idea has been a lot of work for both of us and this pregnancy has been harder than with Arun. I just wanted to remind X that I DO appreciate him and that post is dedicated to him. Life is so fucking difficult and scary, it's nice to know I picked the right guy to face it with.

Partners in Crime
Okay, as much as I adore X, the one thing we agree on is that we don't work well together. I have a deadline this week to get something done for the Big Idea and I dread it. I know that whatever I submit will get nitpicked, I will get mad and we will bicker. Are we the only couple that can't work well together??

Treading Water
It still cracks me up that Arun is a total fish when it comes to pools, but not so much with the baths. We did give him a shower yesterday and he handled that a tad better. I have to say, I've really enjoyed swimming. My pregnant joints relishes the water and being weightless. Joy! I actually forget I'm pregnant until I bend a certain way and realize "Oh CRAP. Shouldn't have done that." Also, it is sweet that I can hold Arun for so long with little effort. I really, really miss holding him so close and carrying him like that. The one thing I hate about swimming is actually not about the whole "body image in a swimsuit" issue. I think cellulite is a Human Condition, so folks who mock it can kiss my Cottage Cheesed Ass. No, what I despise most about swimming is the MUCH required mowing down of acres upon acres of pelt on my legs, only to discover a 9 o'clock shadow shortly thereafter. ACK.

Eyewitness
As much as I've been craving cinnamon rolls and Coca-Cola, I've also been craving weird shit like cantaloupe and tomatoes. Lately, Arun and I have been mawing down a cantaloupe per day between the two of us (in the grocery store, he tries to bite into the damned thing). Furthermore, rumor has it that last week I spent $5/lb for some heirloom tomatoes and ate them immediately upon arriving at home - - liberally sprinkled with salt and pepper, of course. However, that rumor has not been confirmed and all receipts have been destroyed. Any applicable witnesses aren't able to form complete, grammatically-correct sentences regarding the matter and should not, I repeat, should NOT be considered reliable. ahem

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for sleeping, boo for some pain. Can't wait to meet this NewKid, I am nosey and want to see if she'll have eyes as beautiful as Arun's.

Cantaloupe - we call that Rockmelon here - Just a crazy random Aussie observation! :)

Good for you on the 16lbs! That's awesome -- since I'm being good, I vote you should definitely go snack some more, just for me. And you of course!

Christy said...

I am very impressed with the 16 pound weight gain. You're awesome!
I haven't gained any weight so far, and I am very proud of myself. I figure, if I can make it to 20 weeks with no weight gain, then I'll probably only gain 15 to 20 pounds. Lets hope.

Anonymous said...

Heeee! That post title cracks me up. Such a good question.

And me too on the kudos about your weight gain. I gained 65, so I am IN AWE!

Jenny said...

Oh, the working with the husband. Not as easy as I thought it would be. And we do it EVERY DAY. I totally hear you.
Wow, 4 weeks to go and 2cm already? That didn't happen with either one of my kids. Plugged up tight I was, right up to the day they were born. Weird. But yay - You're almost done!

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

Happy to hear everything is going well with NewKid and the pregnancy is coming to a close.

I think work criticism is harder from someone you really like than someone you don't care for particularly. When I help Mentos for work, we bicker incessantly about the research and I have to respond to every complaint he has to prove myself because I want him to think I'm smart. The Man otoh...I don't pay attention to at all.

Anonymous said...

NewKid will be here before you know it! Only 16 lbs. gain--wow! NewKid won't be short on Vitamin C, it appears.--LuAnn