June 6, 2007

Sometimes, you simply run out of questions.

I didn't intend for my previous post to become about Kelsey Smith, but I am getting a lot of traffic because of some unforeseen linkage, so I do feel compelled to "finish the story". My previous post was really supposed to be about pushing back our fears and trudging ahead. I still stand by that post.

Unfortunately, Kelsey's family did have to face their fears in the worst possible way since Kelsey's body was found today. There's a TON of obnoxious invective flowing on some local sites about the case - crazy hatred spewing forth that has erupted into profane accusations. In the end, it doesn't matter whether Kelsey was white or black, rich or poor, from Kansas or Missouri. She was human. That's all.

May she rest in peace now.

6 comments:

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

My heart just goes out to her family. RIP Kelsey.

Scribbit said...

How horrible for that poor child and her family.

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

The whole thing is just wretched. The fact that people used it as an excuse to get nasty with each other was just disgusting - it even digressed into criticisms of the clothes she wore. Bah.

Ironically, the guy arrested is from OLATHE and is jailed here as well (we are the county seat and therefore, house the county jail.)

Nice, real nice.

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

That's heartbreaking.

I was under the impression that this happened after nightfall-it was completely light outside. Your post about living in fear really hits home even more.

I really hope, for her family's sake, that they have the right guy and she gets some justice.

Lisa said...

This gave me goosebumps. I am so sorry for that family. I can't begin to imagine the depths of their sorrow.

Anonymous said...

As an area public school educator, the tragedy struck me deeply. It was hard to see my SMW teacher friends going through the impossibly difficult process of trying to comfort near-hysterical kids at the heavily patroled service at the church Thursday night.

I'm glad you think through the things you do in the way you do. ---LuAnn