March 1, 2007

What have you read?

A fun, literary-themed meme, courtesy of Pantalones del Fuego.

In the list of books below:
- blue the ones you’ve read
- purple the ones that are your personal favorites (I added this category)
- italicize the ones you want to read
- red the ones you won’t touch with a ten-foot pole (I didn't do do this - never say never, right?)
- put a cross (+) in front of the ones on your book shelf
- and asterisk (*) the ones you’ve never heard of.

If you decide to join the fun and play along, let me know in the comments!

1. The Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown)
2. +Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
3. +To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
4. +Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell)--
5. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Tolkien)
6. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (Tolkien)
7. The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (Tolkien)
8. +Anne of Green Gables (L. M. Montgomery)
9. *Outlander (Diana Gabaldon)
10. +A Fine Balance (Rohinton Mistry) Currently, slogging through this one.
11. +Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Rowling)
12. Angels and Demons (Dan Brown)
13. +Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Rowling)
14. A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)
15. Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden)
16. +Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (Rowling)
17. *Fall on Your Knees (Ann-Marie MacDonald)
18. The Stand (Stephen King)
19. +Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban(Rowling)
20. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
21. The Hobbit (Tolkien)
22. +The Catcher in the Rye (J. D. Salinger)
23. +Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)
24. The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)
25. Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
26. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)
27. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
28. The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis)
29. East of Eden (John Steinbeck)
30. Tuesdays with Morrie (Mitch Albom)
31. Dune (Frank Herbert)
32. The Notebook (Nicholas Sparks)
33. Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)
34. +1984 (Orwell)
35. The Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley)
36. *The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett)
37. *The Power of One (Bryce Courtenay)
38. I Know This Much is True (Wally Lamb)
39. The Red Tent (Anita Diamant)
40. *The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)
41. The Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel)
42. The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)
43. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Sophie Kinsella)
44. The Five People You Meet In Heaven (Mitch Albom)
45. +Bible Haven't finished it and probably never will.
46. Anna Karenina (Tolstoy)
47. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)
48. Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt)
49. +The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)-I keep thinking I must read this, but honestly, I can't stand Steinbeck's writing style. Bleh.
50. +She’s Come Undone (Wally Lamb)
51. The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)
52. A Tale of Two Cities (Dickens)
53. *Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card)
54. Great Expectations (Dickens)
55. The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald)
56. *The Stone Angel (Margaret Laurence)
57. +Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Rowling)
58. The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough)
59. The Handmaid’s Tale (Margaret Atwood)
60. The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrey Niffenegger)
61. +Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky) -
62. The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand)
63. War and Peace (Tolstoy)
64. Interview with the Vampire (Anne Rice)
65. *Fifth Business (Robertson Davis)
66. +One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
67. The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants (Ann Brashares)
68. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)
69. Les Miserables (Hugo)
70. The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)
71. Bridget Jones’ Diary (Fielding)
72. +Love in the Time of Cholera (Marquez)
73. +Shogun (James Clavell)-I own this, but haven't ever been able to get past page 50. May give up.
74. +The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje)
75. +The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett)
76. *The Summer Tree (Guy Gavriel Kay)
77. +A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith) One of my very, very favorites. EVER.
78. The World According To Garp (John Irving) - My goal in life is to read all of his works.
79. *The Diviners (Margaret Laurence)
80. +Charlotte’s Web (E.B. White)
81. *Not Wanted On the Voyage (Timothy Findley)
82. Of Mice And Men (Steinbecck)
83. *Rebecca (Daphne DuMaurier)-- LOVED the movie, didn't realize it was a book so now I must read it!
84. *Wizard’s First Rule (Terry Goodkind)
85. +Emma (Jane Austen)--
86. +Watership Down (Richard Adams)--
87. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)
88. *The Stone Diaries (Carol Shields)
89. *Blindness (Jose Saramago)
90. Kane and Abel (Jeffrey Archer)
91. *In The Skin Of A Lion (Ondaatje)
92. +Lord of the Flies (Golding)
93. The Good Earth (Pearl S. Buck)--
94. The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd)
95. The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum)
96. The Outsiders (S. E. Hinton)
97. White Oleander (Janet Fitch)
98. A Woman of Substance (Barbara Taylor Bradford)
99. +The Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield)
100. Ulysses (James Joyce)--

17 comments:

liebhaberin said...

thanks, cagey.

check out my blog

journeyschool.blogspot.com

meno said...

I wouls have to add a new color for "read it, hated it".

Interesting list. Mayhap i'll steal it.

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Liebharin,
Fun! Also, I just realized I forgot to italicize the ones I want to read. Must correct.

Menos,
I really hated Wuthering Heights and Of Mice and Men, but was surprised those were the only two that I hated. Hmmmmm....

Anonymous said...

Wow, I was surprised at how many I have read and I am also very happy to have this list as I was looking for some new reads. I think I will have to steal this one as well!

metalia said...

LOVE this; I'm definitely doing this, and will post it in a few days. (I first have to post about the fact that some people cook with pee. I...can't even explain.)

Goofy Girl said...

I consider this list a challenge. :-0

You noted that you hadn't heard of "Ender's Game". It's a great book. A touch sci-fi, but it's a "thinker".

Also, "The Alchemist" was wonderful. Very uplifting. As was "The Five People You Meet In Heaven".

Anonymous said...

How are you liking A Fine Balance? That is one of my all time favorite reads, although a tough one.

Mary said...

I just completed this and posted on my blog. Now I have a new list of books that I should aim for reading. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Cagey, you must read Ender's Game. I don't really like SciFi and yet this is one of my top ten favorite books. You'll love it - I promise.

Jenny said...

I have read most of the older stuff, but anything that's come out in the last six years, you know, since I had kids and my brain can't really tolerate anything more than Entertainment Weekly or Cottage Living? Pretty much no. Hopefully soon I will emerge from the tired mommy cocoon and be able tyo start exercising my brain again.

Also, I thought you this morning when I read that Elizabeth Hurley wed a man named Arun! Maybe now all those people that think its a weird name will shut the f*** up. :)

Carrie said...

Thank you! I want to play too!

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is great! Especially since I posted about my love of reading just today. I'll let you know when mine is up.

Mojavi said...

man I am sad now... I thought I was well read.... I don't want to play lol.....

Anonymous said...

Okay, mine's up.

FFF said...

Mine's up!

Rozanne said...

I found A Fine Balance to be a real page turner, although a bit on the melodramatic side. Mistry's been called the Indian Dickens (or something like that) and I can understand why.

I'm surprised to see The Time Traveller's Wife on that list with all those classics. I actually know the author, but I could not get into her book. My sister loved it, though.

metalia said...

FINALLY. I posted my list!