March 5, 2007

Boy, your body really goes with 2nd one, eh?

An actual quote from Nice Checker Woman at our grocery store. She asked me when NewKid was due and after I answered, she came up with the little gem that has become today's post title. We go to the store about 2-3 times a week (yes, we're Fresh Produce Snobs), so this woman really knows us by now. I realize this woman was just trying to be friendly and she is very sweet, but GOOD GOD, you don't ever use the words "body" and "go" when speaking to a pregnant woman. In fact, for future reference, the only acceptable words regarding a pregnant woman's body are "Wow - you look GREAT!!". Additionally, the handy little alternative in the form of "What? You're pregnant?" will probably garner you bonus points, if not a new BFF. The truth is most definitely not a safe or sure path in cases where Pregnancy meets Body Image.

Another great quote from this weekend is from a friend who asked X if he was going to "take a few months off". hahahahahahaha. Seriously. We both LAUGHED. X will still be traveling and working harder than ever before. That little Soup Nazi concept known as No Paycheck For You goes a long, long way in Motivation. Oh, sure, we've planned for X to always be able to do what he wants in Things Entrepreneurial - this is why we live a lifestyle comprised primarily of what I call "disposable expenses". When the Shit Hits the Fan, we can tighten our belts quite easily - our only debt is one car payment and a very reasonable house payment - throw in a few utilities and we're done. While I feel sorta sorry for Thai Place, Garozzo's Italian Ristorante, Holyland Cafe, Borders, Target, Amazon, Aspen Lawncare and Molly Maid, I won't be shedding many tears for them, either. They've had a good run on our dime.

Also.....I loved, LOVED doing the book meme over the weekend. I am still catching up on comments, so if you do the meme, let me know so I can check yours out. Oh, I love memes, the Rodney Dangerfield of blog fodder, but doing that one was particularly enjoyable. The list was interesting because it included such a nice variety including such books that I refer to as Brain Candy - reads such as Dan Brown. I love inhaling tripe such as the Da Vinci Code. LOVE IT. Do people really think his stuff should be taken seriously? HELL NO. Read it for the fiction that it IS. Much as I don't eat fruits and veggies all the time, I don't like reading Wise and Serious Shit all the time, either. People, the brain needs some SUGAR. Currently, I am slogging through A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry and Next by Michael Crichton. Both are serving their purposes for providing my brain with a Main, Nutritious Course and a Dessert.

Life is too short to only read Wise and Serious Shit.

9 comments:

-qir said...

I think I'm going to do a book meme part duh. In part because I know some folks share the same taste in Romance with Dragons, errr Fantasy with me, but also because I'm sure I've missed a few quality reads in the last 2.5 years.

Plus my book meme part duh is also going to have a part duh all its own: recommend a book you don't see on my list if you think I'd like it.

Leah said...

I think you're close to where I was when I started getting "So, the due date is coming up soon, huh?" comments. I was at 24 weeks. I started saying things like, "No, the baby would probably not make it if it were born already" because I wanted to make these people feel horrible because that's what they had done to me. Catty? Why, yes, thank you.

Also, there is a little meme at my place today that you might enjoy, though I didn't tag you specifically. I THOUGHT of you though.

Diana said...

Oh, she DIDN'T! I can't imagine anyone that tactless has many friends, though. Were you the mean sort, you could throw that back at her.

Christy said...

I am sure you look fabulous! The lady at the grocery store must be partially blind or something.

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

I am in disbelief. I suppose deep down I realize people say things without thinking, even though it usually makes them sound dumb or mean, but I can't imagine how she would let those words slip out. Sorry.

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

I accidentally redded out the Shopholic Series on my list but I've read all of them (the first 2 are the best) and I like them.

In general I don't like the chick lit field as much, though I really really do adore Bridget Jones (squee!) and am tempted by Marian Keyes. My "fun" reading is usually Sci-Fi and Fantasy.

There are also books that fall in between "hard hitting classics" and "total trash"-Daphne Du Maurier is a HUGE fave of mine. I've read everything she ever published. No, she's not serious fiction, but those are some good stories (The Kings General, Jamaica Inn and THEN Rebecca) in that order.

Cold Comfort Farm veers between classic and too-cheeky-to-be a classic but it's hands down one of the funniest books ever written. Gerald Durell...I also read Enid Blyton voraciously, though it's difficult to find her books cheaply outside of India. I only know about them because my father only learned English by reading (he went to Marathi standard schools before he transferred to high school in Mumbai, so he had 6 months to teach himself English at the age of 14).

The clearest example in recent reading history of "not serious literature" and "not completely trashy" that I can think of is "Time Traveller's Wife". The characters are pretty one-dimensional, flat and downright annoying at times...but it's a really good plot and I like how she plays with time and combines different elements of genres (sci-fi, romance etc.).

I'll paw through my book box and come up with a few more examples of the "in-betweens".

About the clerk...wtf-ever...I've realised life is an endless series of commentary from random people. I'm positive you look great!!

A. Nonny Mouse said...

Another acceptable pregnant woman comment is "You are looking so beautiful! Pregnancy becomes you!" Or things of a similar vein. Telling me I look fat is a sure way to earn yourself at the very least a dirty look.

I am planning to do the book meme too, but today's plan got more than a little derailed, so it's going to have to wait. I'll put a comment up when the post happens.

I totally agree with you that life is too short to only read wise and serious books. I call the frivolous reading I do "Candy for the Mind".

meno said...

(I am going to assume that the checker woman has more than one kid, just for my own purposes.)

Your reply?

"Not as much as your mind obviously went with yours."

Jenn said...

How DARE her!