March 15, 2007

Has the world gone mad?

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World: I just adore March Madness. As a SAHM, I consider it a special perk that comes with the job in which I get to sit at home and watch the games all day (Arun will have to wait until next week to find out the thrilling conclusion to the game of "1...2....3....???"). Too bad I can't have beer, though. My tourney brackets are all submitted to the pool I am in - this year, I merely selected teams I liked. In the past, I would carefully peruse what all the sportscasters had to say, but this year, I didn't have the time or inclination. It's just fun to play, I most certainly will not win and in the end, it doesn't matter. Doing a bracket just makes it more enjoyable to watch - particular the first few rounds. I did select KU to go all the way - I couldn't help myself.

Online Book Club: I have NOT forgotten about this! I am putting together a list of 3-4 books to vote on and will give a 6 week lead time for reading. Then, we can discuss Round Robin style in the comments. I am definitely open to suggestions - I am currently thinking of The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf, but need other suggestions for voting on.

One, Two, Buckle My Shoe: Thanks for all the comments about the floor. I should have mentioned that I had already spoken to my insurance agent. We are going to see what the extent of the damage is before starting any sort of claim. For our company, once a claim is started, it counts.

The Name Game: Regarding the whole "my kid has an odd, uneek name" thing - I do not get frustrated, angry or insulted when people don't get Arun's name right away or don't know it right off-hand. I don't expect people to automatically know how to pronounce his name. What I get upset about are the squinty-eyed looks and the inability for folks to listen. It's a very simple name with only 2 syllables - both of which exist in the English language. And I always take the time to carefully pronounce both syllables - "ahhh-roooon" because I realize it is a different name for most folks.

Paying It Forward: Today, I am going to pass around some Linky Love. I've been the beneficiary of some awesome Linky Love myself these past few months - it's time to pass the Love around. My blogroll is a very, very small subset of the blogs I enjoy. I tend not to update the Blogroll for various reasons. For one, if I find that I no longer have a connection with a blogger or need to pare my list down, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. The blogroll thing can get so political and I do hate to hurt people's feelings. This is the primary reason why I keep the blogroll so small. If you're not on it, it doesn't really mean anything and is most likely just a factor of how lazy I am about updating my sidebar. However, I am reading some really awesome blogs and feel like I should be spreading the word. Blogs are viral and I have found some awesome blogs (and even new BFFs) via the blogroll thingie.

Anyway, enjoy - and feel free to leave some of your own favorites in the comments or on your own blog!
Cakerwakers - I got hooked on this blog from the start. I really relate to so many of her experiences as a new mother and especially, her relationship with her own mother.

Md. Macaca - This is such a fun blog - she is constantly bringing up fun topics to ponder and discuss. Currently, she is talking about her favorite children's books. Earlier this week, she discussed Eastern marriages vs. Western marriages. Why are you still here? Go check her out!

Indexed - OMIGOD, this is one of my very favorite new sites and I may have to totally do the archives. This blogger does a variety of graphs, ven diagrams, charts - all to hilarious effect. Brings back all the haunting memories from my statistics classes.

Lakelines - I think we're still friends even after my professed love for foie gras and veal. Right?

Meno's Blog - I really enjoy this blog for all the little "slice of life" observations. Damn, she must be older than the hills, though since she's retired and all. (Hint: She's NOT.)

Metalia - Had the courage to admit she's afraid of Oprah. Gotta love that.

Ms. Congeniality - Another great "slice of life" blogger. Her food list today cracked me up! Mangos? Really??

Mommy Tracks - A lawyer on the partner track goes off-roading on the mommy track after giving birth to 3 children in 4 years. Hilarity ensues.

Multiply Life by the Power of Three: She has done some great introspective posts. Plus, I think I may have discovered Arun's doppelganger.

Am only partway through my Bloglines list - will continue next week.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you on the blogroll thing. I haven't updated mine for a long time. These days I just add blogs to Bloglines when I find something new, so I have no real reason to need to them in my sidebar, too.

Someday I'll get off my lazy butt and figure out how to put my Bloglines lists on my sidebar...maybe.

Chelle said...

Thanks for the Linky Love! And, I promise I will try the mangos in a smoothie! I will. I swear!

Christy said...

Thanks for the link. I have been reading Rancid Raves since I was pregnant with Porgie, and consider your blog to be one of the best. I am honored.

Anonymous said...

Cagey, many thanks for the link! It's great to know that people enjoy reading what I write:).
And, one day, I hope to become BFF with Monkey, just as you have.

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

Hey, I vote for "Female Chauvinist Pigs" by Ariel Levy. Aliana (Art is the Proper Task of Life) on my blogroll brings it up on occasion and I think it would probably raise a lot of interesting discussion points.

Md you should write to me more! I just figure you're busy with school ending.

Anonymous said...

Go Jayhawks!

Anonymous said...

I sure hope you bet on Nevada winning a few. ;) We're sure proud of "our boys" around here.

And, girl, people can't even seem to get "Liam" right so I don't put a lot of stock in their ability to get it right. "His name is Liam." "What?" "Liam. It's short for William." "Oh." Hrmph.

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

Ever since I read the sounded-out version of Arun, I can't help but read it really slow in my head.

I generally don't remove sites from my sidebar unless they simply don't update anymore, and even then, I leave them in my Google Reader...just in case. I add after I've read the blog for a bit (or read through some archives) and think others might also enjoy it.

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

Oh, and I forgot...I think The Beauty Myth sounds like a great idea.

Jenny said...

By the way, if you like the flavor of beer and want to drink an NA one while you watch the games, I dscovered when I was pregnant a couple of decent ones. Hake Beck, for one, which I like to call Fake Beck, and the folks at Guiness make a good one called Kaliber. It was my favorite, but harder to find.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link!!! I am excited about the book club plan.

meno said...

Thanks for the mention! I started reading your blog at NaBloPoMo and haven't stopped.

I update my blog list, and i do remove blogs, but i feel badly about it sometimes. I want it to reflect what i am currently reading.

Of course, now that i've said that, i don't think i've updated it in quite a while. Liar i am.

Leah said...

We are totally still friends. Mmm. Veal. (I actually really like veal, I just am only willing to get it when I know it's been well-treated for its short life, like 4-H raised veal)

I want to get in on the book club! Don't do ones that are too emotionally scarring though. I read the Time Traveller's Wife while pregnant and still haven't recovered.