February 27, 2007

What's the Big Idea?

X is leaving his company.

Wait, let me rephrase that.

X is leaving his company.

In 1999, X plunked his life savings down and started a company with two other guys. Those guys have long since been gone, although X did pick up two new partners along the way. When I first started dating X, he warned me that the company was based in Reston, Virginia and that eventually he would have to move back there. Fortunately, thanks to Giant Corporate Telecom we never had to move because there was always enough going on in the Kansas City area to warrant X's presence here. Since X would have to travel regardless, it was easier to live here near my friends and family.

In 2005, the company accepted investment money. From here on, I can't really say much. Big Scary Legal documents with Big Scary Words composed to the delightful tune "or else we'll sue your ass" are being drawn up, so that means I need to keep my cakehole nailed shut for a change of pace (imagine that!)

Over the years, we've had all the usual highs n' lows associated with running your own business. We were always the first to take a paycut, the last to get paid. A co-worker at the Fed once asked "why are you even working?" when I said my husband had his own business. Little did The Mouth even know, my salary was actually bigger than X's at that point. Our pores have seen a lot of sweat, countless holidays have been consumed, vacations interrupted and a honeymoon that wasn't so romantic when you are desperate for a cell phone connection in the White Mountains. However, it wasn't a problem taking the biggest risks because we were first in line for any potential Reward. Sure, a Reward that hasn't yet shown the whites of its eyes, but still, the company has provided us a nice life and I can't complain. Besides, we've learned many valuable lessons with this experience - lessons that hopefully we can parlay into something great with the next Big Idea that X is currently working on.

Last week was replete with tense moments, but I am proud that in the end, X stood up for himself - he ain't nobody's fucking coolie. Yes, I am very nervous about the future, but I am also very excited. I have complete faith in X and his Big Ideas.

And in the meantime, I am totally reminding him that I am now the only with a job in our house.

Budget Cuts 2007: Everyone's doing his part.
Molly Maid, you're on notice.







Budget Cuts 2007: Taking one for the team.
Sorry babycakes, it's gonna be last season's Gymboree for awhile.

15 comments:

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

Yeah for X standing up for himself!!! My brother owns his own business too and I know how easy it is for people to get taken advantage of...awesome that X didn't let them get away with it.

I am somewhat selfishly excited about your future (for obvious reasons) and also need to let you know that you got a picture of X managerially directing his son towards a particular scrap. Are you a family of financey people or what???

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

Also, what's up with the driveby mouthiness of some people? I just had to deal with someone asking me why I even bothered working and calling me "Little Rich Girl" when he asked me which town I grew up in Massachusetts. My brother frequently gets "why don't you just live off your doctor wife?" sneerbys. Last time I heard him tell the Mouth he was still SUPPORTING his doctor wife.

meno said...

Well damn woman, for a minute i thought you meant that X was leaving his company.

How scary/exciting. But sometimes you need to do the right thing.

I admire you for being so supportive.

Leah said...

Wow, these big life changes are so tough. But I'm excited for you too!

MLE said...

Exciting big stuff going on over there in KC. Sounds like a grand new adventure!

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

Good for X! I'm always happy to read about people changing their circumstances when they aren't right anymore.

And, yay for you for supporting him;>

Diana said...

Wow. Scary-exciting-wonderful!

So, does Arun do bathrooms? Cause he could take on some side jobs, not just the house's vacuuming responsibilities.

Carrie said...

Amen sister! I too am in the same boat. My hubby's company took a blow in December when his biggest client issued an ultimatum to become the in-house design department and only work for them (to become employees rather than consultants) at a pay cut, or to lose their business (He has a small Advertising/design firm- 3 employees). He chose to lose the business. I stand behind him on that, but it has been really tough.

Things are starting to look up now, he's earned himself another big client and thing are starting to even out. Thank God, I certainly don't earn enough to keep us afloat for long.

FFF said...

You guys are so brave to weather the ups and downs of your own business. I do not have the courage it takes to do so after watching my dad's business fail. But how great that X stood up for himself.

Arun is adorable as always. The dustbuster cracks me up. My kid will clean the tile floor any time he gets a tissue or paper towel. I cannot wait for him to get a little older so I can really exploit the child labor.

Anonymous said...

Well, what's a pregnancy without some kind of job-related reason to freak a little? Glad to hear you're weathering the storm, you'll be fine. Remember, you have perspective!

Scribbit said...

There are a lot of misconceptions about owning your own business. It's not as romantic a notion as some people think--for the reasons you just described. Hope it all works out well in the end for you and he finds a place where he'll be happy, either for himeself or working for someone else.

Dee said...

Wow, what a scary (and exciting) time. I hope that the changes all work out for the better. You and X both are just amazing because I would be totally freaking out about this. I hope the next Big Idea is even better than the last!

Anonymous said...

Sorry - just catching up! I'm so relieved X is breaking free of a dream past it's sunset for him. I have faith, too, that he'll go on to do more great things. And I strive daily to be as supportive of my "wants his own business" beloved as you are of X.

Me said...

Wow! Good thing you're up for change! New business, new baby, damn girl! I really respect X for holding his own, and you for the unwavering support in a nerve-wracking situation.

Jenn said...

Good luck girl. I'm sure it will all work out!