February 19, 2007

Did Noah have woodpeckers on the ark? If he did, where did he keep them?

I love it when it sounds like Tornado Season has arrived 2 months early and the wind is tearing the roof off of my house. I also love waking up at 4:00 am to such racket.

LOVE IT.

I laid in bed for a good 30 minutes trying to determine whether that was Wind or Human trying to pry the windows off the house. Then, I tried to sleep for the next hour, and finally gave up around 5:30.

SO, the weekend started on Friday with high notes of Trauma and Drama, but quickly settled into a pleasing aura of Humdrum. First thing Friday morning, I got a call from my aunt saying that one of my great-uncles was in the hospital with chest pains. We didn't want my Olathe Grandma to hear it over the phone, in case she didn't take it well, so I went over her house to tell her. While there, I was eating a soft granola bar and somehow, someway, part of my very back tooth CRUMBLED into bits. I was completely freaked out by this because I have a recurring nightmare that my teeth crumble or fall out of my mouth. To have a nightmare come TRUE, in a way, is very, very creepy. Anyway. My great-uncle is fine (it was acid-reflux) and my tooth was filled this morning. I am still completely freaked out that such a large part of my tooth went MIA, though. It's creepy.

Not much else happened - I knitted, watched some television, we ate some good food and basically, I was very bored this weekend. By the end of naptime on Saturday, I was looking at the clock thinking "God, when is that child going to get UP and entertain my bored ass?" Last night, I pushed his bedtime to 8:45 pm because we were having so much fun wrestling around. Yep, a very boring weekend. But I am not complaining, because couldn't Boring be considered a luxury? I mean, how nice is that not having anything to worry about?

Sidenote: I don't get all the hoopla surrounding kids watching TV. Arun just started paying attention to TV awhile back and frankly, I can see the benefits of it. For example, this weekend we watched a little video on Noah's Ark and I could see that Arun got very excited over the the penquin, sea turtle and sea horse - probably because we had just seen them at the aquarium while in Boston. Sure, we've been reading books with those animals, but come on - - they don't MOVE. Of course, I wouldn't want him to watch television for hours on end, but there isn't much of anything I'd like for him to do for hours on end. If he sat and read books all day, I'd argue that wouldn't necessarily be a good thing, either. Obviously, I like to mix it all up and do a bit of everything each day. We have twelve, TWELVE, hours each day so there is plenty of time to fit it all in. Today, he went to the library for Rhyme Time, he played at the dentist's office with my grandma, he ran around outside, he played with his gazillion toys, chased the kitties, we worked on shapes, he read some books. And, he watched two programs on tv. Big deal.

Oh, oh, oh......for the all the Amazing Race fans out there, I'd like to point out that Throwing Things has one of the best open threads out there on it - the commenters usually come up with great points about strategy, entertaining sound bites and astute observations. I highly recommend it as a must-read first thing Monday morning if you're a TAR fan. I usually mention Throwing Things periodically because it seems like I have new readers, and I like to give a shout-out to one of my favorite sites on pop culture, politics, and entertainment. Anyway, I am pretty pumped about this season of TAR. The first episode was kinda meh, yet was STILL enjoyable to watch. At this point, I am totally rooting for Team Cha Cha Cha, the Beauty Queens, and of course, Rob and Ambuh. However, Team Guido and Mirna/Schmirna are fun to watch as well. I still don't get why Team Kentucky is so popular. shakes her head..... Regardless, I have HIGH hopes for this season. We deserve a good one after these past few stinky seasons.

Comfortable

No kid in sight and the lap is mine, mine, MINE.

Behind Bars

Yes, he's going up the stairs as I thought he would, but he doesn't go past the banister unassisted. For now.

Beebo

He sat here quite comfortably for a LONG time. Someone is a wee bit obsessed with his bellybutton. In fact, he gets pissed if I put him in a bodysuit now because the No Access is so frustrating.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I broke a tooth eating a french fry when I was pregnant with Audrey - I hope you are doing better now and also glad that great-uncle just had reflux!

I was bored this weekend as well but I so needed the down time. Back to the grind tomorrow.

Christy said...

Okay - you have convinced me to go to the dentist. Thanks Cagey!

I love the Amazing Race, but I hate the Kentucky people. They make the rest of us Kentuckians look like idiots.

I swear I am not a hillbilly. However, some of my family memebers are questionable.

Anonymous said...

What the hell? I had a tooth crumble yesterday while I was eating lunch. I'm headed to the dentist on my lunch break today to get it fixed.

Anonymous said...

As the product of "TV is evil" parenting, my personal stance is moderation in all things. I don't feel that living without a TV for much of my childhood made me a better person, in fact it seemed to give me a regrettable craving for really bad television for much of my early 20's.

Can't wait for winter to end, we've had snow and freezing cold weather where I am for weeks now, and I'm starting to get squirrelly.

Anonymous said...

I too have the dream that my teeth are crumbling and breaking into bits.
It got so bothersome (the frequency of the dream) that I actually asked my dentist about it during a routine exam. He said that many people who are night grinders have this dream! Whoa, who woulda thought! He then checked my mouth out and said oh yeah you are a grinder. So, mouth guard for me. Yay. Anyways, just thought I'd share :)