We went to visit Great Aunt P today since it is her birthday. She is an easy one to buy for - chocolate, cat treats for the nursing home cat that hangs out with her and Jon Stewart's America book. She is a Political News Junkie who faithfully voted Republican throughout her life until her 70s when she TURNED LIBERAL. How cool is that? Proof that a person can never stop growing, learning and changing. I think in some circles that is referred to as Evolution.
So, for the past few months I have been scouting locales for Winter Entertainment with Arun. We can do the park as long as it is at least 40-50 degrees, but for the bitterly cold days, I will need some indoor entertainment. I noticed while visiting Aunt P that the nursing home will be a PERFECT space for us to visit:
- Great long hallways perfect for crawling and walking to his heart's content.
- Arun adores All Things Transportations - wheelchairs, walkers, and oxygen tank carts included.
- Fishtanks abound within the hallways. A Bonus Birdcage is in one of the lounges.
- Eager, adoring fanbase where ever he wanders. Seriously! A baby in a nursing home is treated like a ROCKSTAR.
- No dangers of him getting kidnapped. The "inmates" (as Aunt P calls 'em) certainly couldn't get away fast enough, certainly couldn't even LIFT Arun, and best of all, certainly don't know the Super Secret Passcode that operates the Exit door. I think I've struck Entertainment Gold, folks.
On a serious note, it was a nice visit and I know Aunt P enjoyed it. I've never understood why people are so afraid of nursing homes. Yes, a nursing home isn't my favorite place to visit, but they aren't that bad. And Old Folks? Hello! I aspire to BE one someday since a Dirt Nap Alternative isn't nearly as appealing - I'll take growing old, thankyouverymuch.
Rancid Random Rumination: Wow. Now that I am watching nearly every TV show I record in High Definition, I have to say that I am feeling some pity for some of the folks out there on TV. I suspect more than a few of them are as misty-eyed for the Days of Soft Focus Yore as much as I am. Yikes.