October 23, 2006

What the hell is NaBloPoMo?

So, after careful consideration, I decided to participate in NaBloPoMo - National Blog Posting Month. How could I resist the word "NaBloPoMo"? As in "Yo, it's gonna be one bad MoFo of a month doing NaBloPoMo!" So, in the month of November you can look forward to loads of thrilling intrigue as I examine the status of my Eternal Soul (Hint: Hellbound), reports on the growing intellect of my son (Hint: certifiable ingenuity), some haikus (Hint: one of which was published in the on-line version of USA Today), lots of book reviews (Hint: sadly, I ain't no Michiko Kakatuni) and as a special bonus for Faithful Readers, details EVERY SINGLE DAY as to what I ate for lunch (Hint: Cheese. Lotsa cheese. Maybe some tostadas, too).

So, yet again, I am feeling the Urge to Purge. Fortunately, I'm talkin' Junk, not Junk Food. Great Balls of Fire, there is assorted crap in every single nook and cranny in the house. Ugh. I am almost done with the basement and have nearly finished purging the kitchen. The goal is to provide enough goods for a Monster Garage Sale next spring. Judging from the "wares" I've pilfered from my cabinets thus far, it's not going to be hard to stock the sale. I get this Urge to Purge about every 18 months to 2 years. I am descended from a long line of Packrats (Genus Specification: Packus Rattus) so I have to fight off a genetic inclination to keep EVERYTHING - you know, JUST IN CASE. My method for Purging is straight forward and fairly simple. I make a list of every room in the house and of every closet in the house. Then, I methodically and mercilessly sort through EVERYTHING. If I feel that something is sentimental, I'll do a run-down of how many other things that might have come from that person (most sentimental things relate to a Loved One, no?) For example, I have TONS of things from Olathe Grandma. If I have an object that is related to her in some way, is NOT an actual family heirloom (Example: tchotkes purchased on various vacations throughout her life), has NO monetary value and is of absolute NO use to me, then it gets designated for the Garage Sale. When we moved into this house 2 years ago, I swore I would not let things pile up in the basement unless they were designated for a Garage Sale or holiday decorations. Although I have had to add Baby Gear as an acceptable item for storage, overall, I've done a decent enough job and I'd like to keep it that way. On a Dead Serious note, I have an aunt who not only has a Hoarding problem, but also a Shopping problem. Like, "I could totally get her on Dr. Phil or Oprah" type of problem. I've seen specials on TLC that have prompted me to call my sister telling her to turn on her television !STAT! because they were showing people JUST LIKE OUR AUNT. So, yes - I am scarred and in fact, I just went to the house she lives in last week and that provided ample incentive to get my ass in gear on the situation in my own house. Anyway, I guess the short version of that paragraph is "I'm weeding through all my shit, ya'll". But honestly? Wasn't the longer version more entertaining?

So, Saturday, I went to my dad's on Saturday to celebrate Arun's birthday (my dad was sick on the day of the party). It was a great evening overall, but I finally had a Come to Jesus session with my younger sister on her table manners. She is a sophomore in college and DEAR LORD! should know how to NOT smack her lips when eating. The Smacking of the Lips is probably one of the habits that irks me the most of all the things that people do. When I am at a table with Smacking Lips, my stomach tightens and I can barely concentrate on the conversation at hand. I am aware that I am slightly Obsessive Compulsive with a hearty side of Bitchy, but give me some credit - Smacking Lips is a cardinal sin when it comes to table manners. SO, I mentioned to my younger sister that when I was in the business school I took a class on general etiquette and it was really helpful. I also casually mentioned to her that it is imperative she get out of the habit of smacking her lips because one of these days, she is going to be interviewing for jobs. Recruiters LOVE to take people to lunch because they do want to see you in action. If you are ever in a client facing situation, they don't want someone who SMACKS THEIR LIPS. I think she got the point and I think I delivered in a helpful manner.

So, overall, it went well. Also, Arun totally scored in the presents category, as evidenced below. Pictures do not include three books with "sing along" CDs and, AND a push-along circus truck thingie that plays that little Circus Diddy. You KNOW the Circus Diddy, right? It's the little tune that people play/hum whenever they want to insinuate someone is loony or crazy. Arun pushes the button over and over and over and over, then giggles. Which lends itself for an authentic air, if you ask me.

No Batteries Required

I think there should be a special place reserved in Hades for grandparents who purchase a DRUM for their grandchild.

Off Switch Not Included

And yes, he has figured out the "drumstick/cymbal" combo. Thanks for asking.

Woke Up This Morning

Kooky mugging for the camara, patent pending

14 comments:

DeAnn said...

I would do NaBloPoMo, BUT I don't like to post on weekends. So ... I can't play. I'm a bad blogger!

(Also, cute pics, as usual.)

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Deann,
As non-weekend poster myself, I am a little nervous about that aspect as well. I did think about this whole thing for several days before deciding to commit. I think it will be a great experience for me to flex my blogging muscles a bit.

Scribbit said...

I'm all for it, but can you tell me where to sign up? Fussy's page had nothing but the list of participants. I must be missing something so obvious.

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Scribbit,
I wasn't under the impression that there is an "official" signup, other than sending her an email letting her know that you are participating.

Anonymous said...

I thought about doing NaBloPoMo too, but I rarely have the time to post on weekends, even when I want to. Monday through Friday would be easy as I usually post those days anyway, but the weekends...not so much.

Arun is looking adorable as usual.

Anonymous said...

Oh damn, drum AND cymbals! You are so screwed. :D

Anonymous said...

I'm a little worried about keeping up with NaBloPoMo while I'm in Jamaica in early November, but I guess I can write and pre-schedule some "just in case" posts and then preempt them if the internet access at the hotel turns out to be adequate.

Goofy Girl said...

I want that drum! Is that wrong???

I will be doing NaBloIgMo - National Blog IGNORING Month. Don't expect much from me. ;-)

Diana said...

One of Sara's grandmothers got her a bit craptastic plastic drum filled with assorted craptastic instruments: recorder, tamboureen, kazoo, castanets, harmonica, etc, etc. Thankfully, no cymbals My only revenge is to drag it out when she comes. And then leave that floor of the house.

I have trouble posting more than once a week. This ho is sayin' 'oh no' to NaBloPoMo. (But will happily read those who take it on.)

Anonymous said...

I'm tempted to do NaBloPoMo myself, but yikes...there's a holiday weekend in there...still thinking about it...

Ok, the drums. The cymbals. Who dislikes you that much?

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

drums and cymbals...are your parents angry with you?

Lisa said...

The smile with the bottom "toofers"!!!! LOVE it.

Rozanne said...

I predict that those drums and cymbal may be surreptiously moved to the purge pile--soon!!!!

Looking forward to your NaBloPoMo book reviews!

Me said...

Hey, be thankful, at least YOUR son didn't get a trap set.

And, I commend your dedication to paring down the jumk. I very much envy your dedication and willpower.