October 19, 2006

Do you even care what I had for lunch?

For lunch today I had Rajma soup and cous cous left over from last night. I swear by this recipe. It's fast, easy, and requires few ingredients. It's a recipe I got from a friend and literally, she gave me the ingredients list and included instructions that consisted mostly of "to taste" (she also didn't know the English word for Anise, so we both a got a lesson that night.) Last night, I measured (measured!) as I was making it so I could include the recipe here. Oh, and rajma just means "bean/kidney bean" in Hindi.

However, be honest, isn't rajma more fun to say?

Rajma Soup Recipe

Ingredients
2 14 oz cans of dark red kidney beans
8 roma tomatoes, chopped
1 yellow onion
1 tsp Anise
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Preparation
1. In one pot, cook the tomatoes and onions together with maybe 1/4 cup of water (You need not use any oil). In another pot, get the rajma to cooking.

2. When the tomatoes/onions are soft, blend the mixture with a bit more water and then drain the liquid out through a strainer (I work it through with the back of a spoon).

3. Add the tomato/onion liquid to the cooked rajma.

4. Add the anise, sugar, and salt.

5. Bring the entire mixture to a boil and let simmer until the beans are thoroughly cooked.

My friend serves it with pasta, but we use rice instead. It's a very simple meal and is very satisfying to the appetite.

8 comments:

Me said...

How can you ditch Studio 60? I'm really starting to get into it.

Anonymous said...

Studio 60 is pretty good, but I'm still a little on the fence-I sort of feel the same about 6 Degrees too, although I think I'll ditch that one the soonest if something has to go. And I've recorded every episode of The Nine so far but haven't watched a single one yet. Is it good?

Anonymous said...

We just watched an episode of Heros and wow, we are hooked! It is so good! We can't wait till this Sunday when we can catch up on the first three that we missed. It is such an interesting line up of characters. The little japanese man is my favorite so far.

Scribbit said...

I just got the book to read on my coming trip. I'm hoping it's just what I need.

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Alimomof2 and Me,
My complaint about Studio 60 is that the skits within the show aren't that funny or groundbreaking. However, I love watching the "behind the scenes" stuff. Also, watching Matthew Perry in action is pretty cool. Also, Aaron Sorkin is such a meglomaniac, that is cute watching how much of the show is really ABOUT HIM. Even though I didn't really watch Sports Night or West Wing, this is where reading so much about the entertainment industry is paying off for me.

ModernDayHermit,
I feel the EXACT same way about cauliflower. If someone were to ask me if I like cauliflower, I'd wrinkle my nose in digust, but if someone were to ask me if I like gobi, it would be a different story.

Shalini,
The Nine IS good, but I am on the fence about it. But then again, I am getting attached to the characters. Sigh. I can't imagine how they are going to drag the premise out over more than one season, so of course, I want to see them try! The casting was well done, which makes the show work - you can see how these people are connecting and forming bonds that are going to mean more than the initial hostage crisis.

Honeybecke,
YES - Heroes is fun, fun, FUN! Which is why it will survive the "delete" button on my DVR whereas Jericho might not. How many nuclear disaster shows at once can we take? It's sorta depressing. The awesome thing about Heroes is that the storylines are endless after this initial one. If the writers can keep it together, this show could go on for many season.

Scribbit,
If you institute a Lunch Day yourself, let me know!

Anonymous said...

I ordered the book, too, but it hasn't arrived yet. I hope it gets here for NaBloPoMo - I'm going to need it!

I've officially over "Jericho." Nothing about the story rings true and I'm sick of all the characters already. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE "Heroes," though.

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Jane,
Hmmmm, I am 2 episodes behind on Jericho, BUT an opinion from YOU* saying "nothing about the story rings true" tells me that I probably shouldn't waste my time even watching those last 2 episodes.

*For those of you who don't know Jane, she loves fantasy/science fiction and of all the people I know, has the best ability to suspend disbelief for the Greater Good of Entertainment. ;-)

Rozanne said...

So if you bought the book does that mean you're going to do NaBloPoMo? You're almost there anyway--you post way more frequently than I do.

I'm seriously considering doing it, but haven't bought the book. Probably should.