July 20, 2012

Fridays of Intestinal Fortitude:
This Ain't Your Mama's Bourbon Slushie.
(Well, unless your name is Christy. )
(Then, it is definitely your Mama's Bourbon Slushie.)

Note: Fridays of Intestinal Fortitude is a weekly(ish) feature about food, food and more FOOD. No, I am not an expert, but I do enjoy talking about food prep, cooking food, eating food and making sweet love to food.  Okay, maybe not the "sweet love" part. After all, this is not meant to be an homage to 9 1/2 Weeks.

Recipe Index can be found here. 
**********       

Here in Kansas, we are not only in the middle of a heat wave, but also a severe drought.  Regardless, this has been one of my favorite summers yet! I have been getting things done around the house, reading like crazy and generally, just enjoying my kids.  School starts all too soon and I am already sad that August is looming and they will not be hanging out with me all day.  Anyway, I know I have not been posting much, but I am hoping to get back on board next week with something regular-like.

So, you came here for a food post, right?   Over 4th of July, we went to my friend Christy's house to celebrate.  While there, I got to sample some of her mom's famous bourbon slushie.  Christy even served it in a fancy cordial with a platinum rim.

Which almost made it classy, no?

Kokopelli and bourbon -- partners in recreational sex since God was a baby.

I am not much on hard liquor.  Oh sure, I love gin and like many Carrie Bradshaw Copycats in the late 90s, I went through a brief, passionate affair with martinis, but these days? I stick to cheap wine and expensive beer.  However, this Bourbon Slushie hits the right notes for me.  It is a sourish, sweetish concoction with an interesting aftertaste -- I think it is the tea that gives this such a nice flavor.    This slushie is absolutely perfect for a hot, sultry day and makes for a fun drink to serve at a party.  The recipe is from Christy's mother, so I have dubbed at such in her honor.

Vera's Bourbon Slushie


Ingredients
1 can of 6oz. orange juice concentrate
1 can of 12oz. frozen lemonade concentrate
3 tea bags in 2 cups hot water
1 – 1/3 C sugar
6 cups water
2 cups bourbon

Preparation
Mix ingredients in a freezer-save bowl, then place it in the freezer overnight. To serve, scoop it into glasses and serve with a spoon.  Add bonus points if you can grab a handful of those fancy spoon-straws from a convenience store!

1 comment:

Me said...

I <3 the title. And the post. And the slushie - I think I'll go have one now...