August 2, 2012

On the Road Again

My Pretend Lawyer Made Me Write This:  In exchange for mentioning the Head for the Cure 5k, my entry fee was waived, a value of $25.  All words and opinions expressed are my own.



Considering how rarely I do reviews/promos here on Rancid Raves, I would hope that it is very telling how much I believe in something if I am willing to offer up space on my blog for a mere $25. Indeed, a 5k run that seeks to raise money for a cause that fights brain cancer?  Yes, I will be there.

This will be my 8th 5k this year.  Yes, #8.  What happened?  Well, earlier this year, I decided to do at least one 5k a month, ending with the Waddell and Reed 5k in the fall.  I wish I could say that "Wow!  I am really loving this running thing! I cannot wait to train for a 10k/half-marathon/marathon"  but, alas, I am not.  I don't mind doing a 5k -- it is not misery but I do get bored with running by mile 3.  I keep signing up for runs because I do appreciate having the motivation for getting out and exercising.  However, I already know from vast experience in high school as a cross-country runner that I am not a long-distance runner.  In high school, I loved track, but I was crap at long-distance.  Still, doing a 5k is not the end of the world and it is good to have goals, right?  As such, my only goal this year is to run a 5k comfortably in 40 minutes and that is it.

Originally, I did not have a run lined up for August and thought I would skip that month, but then I received a request to help promote the 10th annual Head for the Cure on August 26th:
The Head for the Cure Foundation is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to raising awareness and funding in the fight against brain cancer.

Dedicated to the memory of Chris Anthony, the flagship event — Head for the Cure 5K - Metro KC — has grown from a small 5K to one of the largest in the Kansas City area. In 2003, the inaugural event with about 300 participants raised approximately $10,000. In just eight short years, Head for the Cure 5K - Metro KC surpassed 4,000 registered participants and raised more than $300,000.
The run is at Corporate Woods, which is a bonus since that will surely be a nice course.  Register by August 6th and the entry fee is only $25! You can find more information on their Facebook page


If you sign up, let me know and we can organize a coffee klatch with Average Jane afterward!

No comments: