October 8, 2007

What is the point?

I did NaBloPoMo last year. Good lord, why would I sign up again? By the end of November 2006 I was ever so weary of posting....posting....posting........ I mean, sure - I was in my 1st trimester of pregnancy, but still, posting every day does get a bit tiresome, even for those not building a human from scratch. And this year? In November, my kids will be 4 months and 24 months respectively - NOT respectfully. Let us be clear. They do not care a wit for this blogging thing of mine. Oh NO. They do not. The written word? Means naught to them.

However.....in a nutshell...or literally, a word - I like this MoFo, NaBloPoMo thing because of the challenge.

I love to be challenged. And a personal challenge is the very best. For me, NaBloPoMo became much more than the "post a day". I felt compelled to come up with something halfway interesting every single day. Let us be honest - it is no big deal to post every single day of November. It is quite a different thing entirely thing to come up with something worth reading every single day of November.

Did I actually write compelling material every single day of November last year? Probably not. But it did not keep me from trying and it will not stop me from attempting the nearly impossible again. The Unholy Grail of Blogging - keeping the masses entertained..........

This November I have decided to focus on Food. There is a reason for this - the Big Idea has to do with Food and so that topic has become front and center for us this year. Towards that end, I will be shamelessly whoring out this blog to promote the Big Idea. Sure, I will still include my beloved books, TV shows and precious progeny (I suppose) , but I will really focus on food. My favorite recipes, my favorite food shows, my favorite food books, my favorite food sites, my favorite FOOD.

Come hungry........

Simian Snaps
I have not forgotten that I do have two children. Believe it or not, I do attempt to snap more pics of Arun but lately, I usually end up with shots of him running away or alternatively, super-close shots of him trying to grab the camera . If you can come up with an acceptable method for getting the kid to sit still for two damned minutes, I am absolutely open to ideas. In other news, I have discovered why photographers use the word "cheese" - it works!

She's got wide, staring eyes. Thankfully, no urge to fly.


Super Spy, super sly. Blending into the Background.


So Over the Photography Thing.
This picture made my heart stop. I think she looks so much like my sister in this shot. It is true, our children are such a blend of X and I, but without a doubt, those poor kids got the Oliver Nose.

Sweet.
Her unfortunate relationship with the red eye flash is driving me crazy and I cannot get rid of it via iPhoto's red eye function. I have some pretty spooky snaps because of it.

No Wire Hangers
He hooked a hanger in his front pocket. Poor kid must have inherited my poor sense of fashion.

17 comments:

Mamma Sarah said...

I look forward to reading daily. I'll just have to remember to eat something before reading though so I'm not drooling all over my keyboard. :-D Your kids are so adorable and I totally feel ya on trying to get a kid to sit still just for a second to get a pic.

MLE said...

I agree, the challenge is the best part of blopping. I'm wholeheartedly looking forward to the challenge of writing something worth reading every day in November, too. Can't wait to read your food-related posts!

Mojavi said...

omg... she is just adorable... man she has grown so fast!

did I tell you my camera BROKE! I have to get a new one and I want a good one... sigh..

Moderndayhermit said...

I forget how quickly the wee ones change in such short time periods. She is just too precious, my goodness. And the moving toddler theme...seriously, my guy is either running or has to look this way or that whenever I snap a photo. Is that really necessary?!

I can't wait for your food posts. I *just* thought of you this morning as I was rooting through the freezer and came upon some squash and remembered you had posted a recipe for such [if I'm not mistaken].

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Hermit,
Yes, I did put out an erisheri recipe. Link: (http://rancidraves.blogspot.com/2005/08/whats-cookin-good-lookin.html)

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, that grin on Arun's face is adorable!

Moderndayhermit said...

Thanks so much!

meno said...

Clearly you are insane to sign up again. I'll be cheering this year, but not participating.

aibee said...

I can't get enough of your kids.

So adorable, both of them.

Diana said...

You're a better woman than I. The thought of coming up with a post every single day leaves me whimpering.

See, Arun even makes accessorizing with a white plastic hanger look good.

M&Co. said...

Precious!

Unknown said...

I can't believe how beautiful Anjali is! (And as I write that, I can't believe how vain I am!)

Jenn said...

OMG she's getting so big. She's got OMG eyes and OMG hair just like her brother. Not the same....but just as OMG! tee hee.

I have the oppisite problem over here, Allie wants ALL the camera attention.

A. Nonny Mouse said...

Love the pictures! I am still trying to decide if I am going to do NaBloPoMo.

I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one who has a hard time with my kids and red-eye. I tried to use the anti-red-eye flash when taking pictures of Lucy, but the extra flashes made her loose her cute expressions in favor of the "OH MY GOD, WHAT IS THAT?!" expression, which really isn't my favorite.

Christy said...

I love the curly hair. Cagey, she really is a beautiful baby.

lorib said...

Since your kids are so darn cute and I wouldn't want you to lose any adorable snaps due to the dreaded red eye, here is the best way to correct the problem. It requires Adobe Photoshop but it works really well -- looks natural.

http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tutorials/cb/remove-red-eye.html

Bethany said...

Yes, you are crazy for signing up for NaBlo. And so am I. I just can't resist the challenge.

Your kids get cuter every day.