March 1, 2005

It's still not Friday yet?

I have been awake since 3am. I finally gave up on the Sandman by 5am. I am thinking I won't be laboring for Big Al today. I hate napping, but may make an exception today. My doctor did prescribe some drugs, so hopefully I will be on the mend soon. Yesterday was spent mostly reading on the couch and in a great moment of lucidity, I finished the master bathroom curtains. Yeah! Overall, my sanctuary is nearly complete. Just 1 item left in the bedroom- a matching dresser. We are using the same dresser that I have had since I was 12. I figure, if the DNA Project is successful, the kid can take my old dresser and we will get a new one for us - the little begger can't be a chooser, after all. Besides the dresser, I am nearly done decorating the house - just waiting to buy a couch and chair combo, then we should really be done. We are currently using a futon, which I love because it is so comfortable, but the futon bothers X and must go. He is so very NOT picky about things usually and I have a pretty free reign when it comes to the decor. However, when he does rarely have an opinion, it is usually a firm one.

Overall, many of my friends and family expressed shock at how quickly I got things done around the New House - we just moved in the beginning of last September and I have already had our handyman remove wallpaper and paint in our bedroom, kitchen, and 3 bathrooms. Minimal furniture was needed because I already owned so much crep. Ditto for artwork, pictures, etc. It's not the I am a great decorator, but I know what I like and I just hang it. I will certainly never make the pages of House Beautiful, but that isn't really the goal. I just want someplace that I feel cozy in.

The hardest part of this decorating crep was the curtains. Frankly, my parents were not into matching decor - they were hippies. As a 70s child, I was spared daring stripes in contrasting colors but was instead subjected to macreme, wood carvings, and pictures of nature. I don't remember having curtains in our house - maybe blinds, but certainly nothing you would call a "treatment". While the curtains downstairs in the New House are tolerable and certainly not frightful enough to invest money in replacing them, all the curtain upstairs are BUTT UGLY. I still have 3 bedrooms and a bathroom left to replace, but DAMN! curtains are expensive. However, as time goes by, those curtains are starting to look better and better.

Okay, this Lucidity Break is over.

No comments: