June 12, 2008

Can we be friends?

I couldn't stay away. Writing is more cathartic than I realized (so is knitting and not surprisingly, snuggling my kids.)

There is still much to be learned about J's situation. I will say this: if anyone can provide the makings for an inspirational Lifetime movie, it will be J. She is a gal who Gets Things Done. She will look this in the eye and fight. No backing down. I have always, always respected her inability to be intimidated by a challenge.

Thank you for the outpouring of comforting words. Thank you. I have received phone calls, emails, texts, chats and even Twitter messages. In the past, I have used the term "real life" friend and "blog" friend. I am going to be cutting such adjectives from my vernacular. A friend is a friend is a friend.

It doesn't matter if we met through a blog or even through the comments of someone else's blog.

It doesn't matter if we met through your kind comments on my blog, but otherwise have no contact.

It doesn't matter if we met because you began e-stalking me after seeing my comment on another blog.

It doesn't matter if we met briefly at BlogHer 06, then built the friendship further through email.

It doesn't matter if we met while I was interning at what would become my first Real Job.

It doesn't matter if we met at a Bunko party at another friend's house.

It doesn't matter if we met while working ridonkulous hours during tax season at HR Block.

It doesn't matter if we met at a breastfeeding support group.

It doesn't matter if we met because my husband's company was doing a project at your company.

And it doesn't matter if we met in high school while cruising the main drag of Tonganoxie as I was driving my battered 1978 Mazda GLC with Def Leppard blaring from the tape cassette player.

It doesn't really matter.

Forgive me the schmaltz, but that is how I am rolling these days.

10 comments:

D. Jain said...

I was so sorry to hear about your friend. Best of luck to her in her fight. And I'm glad that you're finding writing to be cathartic.

Bethany said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Will be thinking of all of you.

Me said...

Oh. Man. You (and J) are in my thoughts and prayers.

Dooneybug said...

So sorry to hear about your friend. Sounds like she is a fighter and I wish her all the best. And you are a great friend, just keep being there for her and offering your support, as I know you will.

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

Wishing the best for your friend J in her fight.

Anonymous said...

awwww. love to you and to your friend...

meno said...

A writer's gotta write. It's what we do.

I am so sorry for your friend J and her family, and her friends.

LuAnn said...

You and J are in my thoughts and prayers, too.

I spent all day yesterday with the contingent of Hemingway scholars who are here for the international conference--so much smoke blown up and out one's ass, it's not funny.

So sharing some REAL sentiment is very refreshing and reflection-inducing. I'm glad you're my friend.

Unknown said...

Oh, I'm just catching up on your blog. So, so sorry to hear that!

CPA Mom said...

I can't even remember how we "met."

more (Hugs) to you! You know I understand, more than I want to.