July 9, 2008

How can something be "new" and "improved"?
After all, if it is new, what is it improving upon?

A year ago, I had my Hollywood Birthing Moment. A day full of a drama. A day chock full of Persian baba ghanouj, going into labor while watching the Flight of the Conchords, arriving at the hospital a full hour before I was scheduled to be induced, enduring a scary labor that ended up with an OB consulted for a c-section, except that I volunteered to push before, after, during Every. Single. Contraction to just get that little baby outta my business.

Thus, Anjali was born. She did the Traditional Newborn Cry and I did the Traditional Mama Cry. We did the Obligatory Breastfeeding on the Delivery Table. Cue the angels on high.

I have said it before, but truly, Anjali completes this little family thing we have going on here. Most assuredly, she is the star of our lives.

Stars - They're Not Just Like Us!


They have publicists at the ready to spin their scandals!

They use KY Jelly for purposes their grandmas would have never imagined!

They hide from the paparazzi!

They resurrect fashion statements from
the days of Little House on the Prairie!


They get caught using inappropriate gestures!

Sometimes, they have to file restraining orders!

They pass out in public after drunken excesses at Halloween parties!
In costume, no less!



Their bad hair days make front page news!

But they're STARS - they have Ken Paves on speed dial!

They get caught having their Amy Winehouse Moments!

They support their favorite teams!

They keep their adoring public at bay behind gates!

They throw tantrums during photo shoots!


Happy birthday, sweet baby girl.

22 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, how is she already a year old! She's so precious! Whenever you post pictures of her I stop thinking clearly and want to have another.

Happy Birthday Anjali!

Anonymous said...

I love seeing her progression. I should have done something like this but I am far to lazy.

Happy Birthday to the beautiful girl!!!

LL said...

Love the pictures and captions - so cute! I can't believe how close in age she is to Landon. If he met her, I know he'd have a crush and then try to show off for her by standing on his own. Something he will apparently ONLY do if another female baby is nearby. Showing off for mom just isn't going to cut it :)

Happy Birthday to Anjali! I am deeply jealous of your eye lashes.

Bethany said...

A year already?!

Happy Birthday, Anjali!!

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

Happy Birthday Anju!

Christy said...

Happy Birthday Anjali! I can't believe she is already a year.

CPA Mom said...

Hi have her birthday on my calendar and STILL forgot to email you birthday wishes. i suck.

This has to be THE Funniest bday post I've ever seen. I'm ROFLMAO over here!

Leah said...

Holy freaking crap, that is one gorgeous child.

Happy Birthday Anjali!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Anjali! It's all uphill from here! (doesn't that sound almost worse than being downhill? but I didn't want to say downhill because DAMN that'd be a downer, eh?)

She's so freakin' cute. I can't wait to meet her. :)

Dee said...

Happy 1st Birthday Anjali! A year has passed so quickly and she just gets more and more beautiful!

A. Nonny Mouse said...

Happy Birthday, Anjali!

I can't believe our NaBloPoMo babies are a year old already! It just doesn't feel like a year has gone by. And yet, it feels like Lucy's been in my life forever.

MLE said...

Hooray, for birthdays! Happy birthday, Anjali!

Unknown said...

Oh my. Has it already been a year? Happy birthday to my precious namesake.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday sweet girl! We are still recovering from Caleb's first birthday party on Saturday. Next year, cake and ice cream, 12 people. NOT a homemade barbeque lunch for 45!

Thanks for addressing my question the other day. Work has been busy so I couldn't leave a comment. I really do appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences. We are starting Caleb on some cow's milk today. We'll see how that goes! I guess I'll just keep pumping until I can't stand it anymore and then be done with it.

Rozanne said...

Happy b-day Anjali--she is such a cutie!

I just "discovered" Flight of the Conchords. Hilarious!

Imez said...

Dear God that was funny.

That's pretty much all I have to say. Thank you, that was awesome.

Anonymous said...

Gah! Too much cuteness!

Maternal Mirth said...

She is GORGEOUS! She should be a Hollywood starlet :)

caro said...

That photo of the two of them is just perfect. Of course, your photos always seem great. But wow -- getting them both looking so stunning at once. Nice.

And happy birthday to Anjali!

Casey said...

so cute!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I was born in Kansas on July 10 1958. Now I live far away but still dress my sons in Jayhawk gear to please their grandpa. Your kids are gorgeous, their hair amazing, your photos & caps hilarious. Found you by clicking on the Blogher Roll of Honor (I'm the Death of Cursive writer in the same line-up). Looking forward to reading more of your snappy prose.

Colleen said...

What a great post! You are so creative and your baby girl is so beautiful.