November 30, 2005

How Thankful Am I?

Very.

Thanksgiving was really nice - as much as I like to gripe about my family, in truth, they are your typical family. Pleasantly dysfunctional to a level that you can poke gentle fun (Note: I am discussing my DAD'S family. My Mom's family? A different story). Anyway - let’s face it - ALL families have their issues. No one is perfect, but you can often hide things from the general public - not quite so easy to do with relatives. So, I’ll go as far as to say that I did enjoy sharing the little monkey with the family on Thanksgiving. He was the hit of the party and I even scored a babysitter! Yep - even though I quit work to stay home full-time, I am already getting a babysitter. I was very conflicted about this, but X was the one who insisted I get somebody. He is traveling so much, it actually eases his guilt somewhat. It’s a pretty sweet gig - my dad’s cousin’s daughter’s daughter (got that??) is in high school, has her own car, and lives just mere blocks from me. I casually mentioned that I was looking for a babysitter in her presence (yes, I WAS hinting) and she eagerly raised her hand. She is coming 3 days a week for just 2 hours - which is perfect! It gives me just enough time to get in a good workout at the gym AND even enough time to run a quick errand like a trip to the grocery store, etc. It’s a good gig for HER, because she has some steady money now, is in a safe environment where her own mother doesn’t have to worry about her and gets her homework done. Of course there is the added benefit that I am leaving my precious monkey with an actual family member, as opposed to just any old teenager. Since I was able to sneak in an early visit to my doctor last week, I got sign off for exercise and I was pretty anxious to get on it. So, although I feel very spoiled, I was able to quickly quell those feelings after our first session on Monday. Being able to go the gym and get in a good heart-pumping workout made all the difference.

I can't believe Chimp Boy is SIX WEEKS old. It's amazing to me how the time has flown. He is outgrowing clothes left and right, he's SMILING now and is even starting to coo. I think the most shocking part of motherhood so far is how much I am loving it. Of course, I thought I would enjoy it or I wouldn't have bothered with it, right? However, I just didn't know HOW MUCH I would have fun with it. Even after the hardest nights, I still get up every morning ready to start the day.

Of course, now that he is smiling, it makes it all the easier - wouldn't you say?

No comments: