November 19, 2006

What would Jesus do?

Part 3 of a 4 part series where I examine the current status of my Eternal Soul. (Part 1 can be found here. Part 2 can be found here and Part 4 here.)

Psst! I have a confession. The main reason I don't go to Church very often is that I think it is boring.

One conclusion I have come to so far in this Soul Searching is that I have been incredibly lucky. Overall, my experiences with various religions and churches have been positive ones - I've never had truly horrific experiences, just occasional irritating experiences with individuals, but hell's bells that can easily happen outside of church, too. However, unfortunately, my experiences with church haven't been particularly fascinating, exciting, interesting, or thrilling. I also found Bible studies to be boring. I never understood the picking apart of text that had been transliterated AND translated several times over. I'd rather read a children's bible, quite frankly. At least they have pictures. Sadly, I even find the music these days to be uninspiring despite the best efforts of many churches to try appealing to the masses (Masses? GET IT? I'm too funny. Ha.) by offering up "contemporary" music. I'd rather have a good old-fashioned organ with hymns, thankyouverymuch. One Easter service a few years back they even served up what amounted to a New Orleans style jazz band which really turned me off. Bah.

So, there you have it. I primarily don't go to Church simply because it is boring. What a revelation, eh?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that you're so honest!

And to me, I always loved the old music they used to play - although I never sang, and just lip synced instead. I was a shy petal, even then.

Lisa said...

Yeah.... One of the big reasons I don't go either. That and you have to get up fairly early to go to church... And that's my day to sleep in. And I LOVE my sleep. What a heathen, huh? (But at least one who gets to sleep in!)

I've got a very religious, nervous mother who prays for my soul daily. So I figure heaven is probably alot like job searches and high school -- its who you know... And as much as my Catholic mama prays. I'm covered.

I'm supposed to start a bible study with some friends soon. I'm a bit nervous as to how it will go. Especially since I'm sort of liberal-ish and they aren't. BUt should be interesting nonetheless.

Diana said...

(psssst)

I think it's boring, too.