November 12, 2006

What if God was one of us?

Part 2 of a 4 part series where I examine the current status of my Eternal Soul. (Part 1 can be found here Part 3 here and Part 4 here.)

Over the years, I've seen various people in my life turn to religion, then relinquish control over their own lives saying that "God will provide". Indeed, contrary to most new zealots claiming that "God made them stronger" what I saw made them weaker and in some cases, they lost the desire to fight because "God was in charge". It's these sorts of actions that have made me cringe and resist organized religion - meaning, I believe in God, just maybe not some of the details that organized religion tries to impart on the masses. I've always maintained that what God really wants is for us to just get off our lazy asses and help ourselves. I've never believed that God is Upstairs taking notes on who wants to pass which test. Never. I've always used my prayer time to thank Him for things or maybe ask for strength when facing difficult situations, but I don't ask for specific things like good grades, jobs, new cars or hell, even ANSWERS. I'm a huge believer in that little concept known as "free will".

While I am not 100% sold on going to back Church come 2007, I will admit that it has been nice to take time out on Sundays to just be thankful. However, I haven't asked him for anything specific because he already gave me the tools in which to obtain what I want. It's up to me to get off my lazy ass and get to work. Although, I'll admit that might be considered a miracle in and of itself because my ass these days? Is DRAGGING.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

UCC is a demomination that is not full of crazy people. Check it out: www.ucc.org

Anonymous said...

Religion is dominated by crazy people. Science folks! You will die and what religion you are has no relevance to Nature. Thou art that.

Read some Dawkins, Harris, etc.

http://dir.salon.com/story/news/feature/2005/04/30/dawkins/index.html
http://www.samharris.org/

Be Kind, Re-Wind

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this. Really.

And I have no problems believing in science and God. I'm afraid that the people espousing Intelligent Design do not realize that in their arguments they have taken free will out of the equation. Scary.

Lisa said...

I believe the same stuff. We should start our OWN religion, Cagey!

Anonymous said...

I haven't been to church in years.. but there is still a part of me that would like to be able to just go in on a Sunday for mass when I feel like it.

Sadly, it's been such a long time that I no longer feel comfortable doing that. Sigh.

Diana said...

My husband has an aunt who refused to get car insurance as 'God would insure her car'. Who knows, maybe she was right, as she never had an accident.

Something about God protecting fools?

She also gave most of her money to Jim and Tammy Bakker. (Remember them?)

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to visit as many of the NaBloPoMo blogs as I can and I thought I'd say hi, I liked your blog.. :) I'm agreeing with the God wants you to get off your rear and help yourself thing.

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

I completely agree about self-help and asking for strength. Part of growing up for me was letting go of the idea of an interventionist Daddy Deity. I can no longer conceive of a punishing or rewarding deity...though sometimes I feel if I'm going to get anything it's punishment :).

Anonymous said...

Just dropped in from a link from Mom's Daily Dose. Excellent writing, I've added you to my regular blog reading list.

I can't believe I going to do this as I generally loath religious recommendations, but... I share similar beliefs as you have expressed. Last year my family found a liberal faith community that you may want to check out wwww.smuuchurch.org. My initial motivation for checking the church out was the religious curriculum offered to children. Just wanted to equip my child for the first time one of his playmates would tell him he was going to hell because he may not believe in Jesus. Did I mention we live in Kansas? We have a lot a young families in the church. For general information about unitarian universalist check out www.uua.org.