November 25, 2006

?

I felt so much better today! Unfortunately, that meant I consumed THREE Red Hot Patio Burritos and TWO Double Decker Taco Bell tacos today in order to achieve some semblance of well-being. Meals of Utter Shame, yo. Furthermore, I "wasted" my day of well-being doing laundry and taking Arun to the park. Okay, it wasn't a waste, but it still doesn't lend itself to anything very interesting for post fodder. Bleh.

The only interesting thing that happened today is that for once, I took a stand towards Leavenworth Grandma. LONG story short, she left me a voicemail Friday night, breezily stating that her, my mom and Reclusive Aunt were going to come to my place on Dec. 9th. Hope that's okay, blah, blah, BLAH. Um, it was NOT okay. I haven't seen Reclusive Aunt in years despite the fact that for the past NINE years we have lived a mere 15 minutes apart. And now I am dealing with this morning sickness thing. I am not going to scamper around furiously cleaning my house for someone who hasn't bothered to see in years anyway. Normally, I would have just lied and made an excuse to Leavenworth Grandma by saying I already had plans that I couldn't get out of blah, blah.... However, instead I told the truth and said that I was simply not feeling up to having guests. That's it. End of story. And she actually took it pretty well

It was very refreshing to just tell the TRUTH instead of making up some convoluted white lie. I should try that more often, eh?

7 comments:

MB said...

Good for you! I can't believe you have relatives that actually take you seriously when you tell them the truth. Can I borrow them?

Anonymous said...

I am the queen of convoluted excuses. I don't know why I think that I can't just say "no" and leave it at that. I always feel I have to generate excuses if I don't want to do something.

Perhaps your example will inspire me to be less spineless in future.

Anonymous said...

Go you! It feels good to tell it like it is, doesn't it?

I hope the morning sickness soon settles to a level that remains reassuring, but is not so nauseous making.

xx

Anonymous said...

Or, there's me, the girl who can't say no. Ask me anything. Seriously. Bitchy Aunts, asshole friends, anyone. Good for you for knowing what you need and having the balls to just lay it out there.

meno said...

Good job woman. To just say "no" really takes some strenghth.
15 minutes away and she hasn't seen you in years? That's pretty reclusive.

Anonymous said...

I'm pregnant with my second as well, and both my babies have decided in utero to consume a diet of MacDonald's cheeseburgers, HOT Mexican food, and South Asian curries. All milk products cause vomiting, and Italian food in particular smells like old sweat socks. What kind of survival mechanism is this? If you figure it out, please let me know.

Anna

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Anna,
I hear you. Soymilk has been my friend, because the milk products don't really agree with me, either. Normally, yogurt is one of my favorites, but lately, it has been a recipe for disaster.