October 24, 2008

What do folks in China call their good plates?

Arun is v. v. particular about the temperature of his food. If the food is the tiniest bit hot, nay, warm, then he will refuse to eat it. Serious negotiations then must be commenced in an effort to get him to at least give the food a second chance. I find it slightly ironic that I heat a frozen pizza in the oven, then proceed to stick it back into the freezer to cool it off.

So, last week Arun turned 3. I did not write about it and honestly? Did not feel particularly compelled to scribble some maudlin drivel about it- we were busy with some family things last week and on his actual birthday, went to the zoo. It was a beautiful day and we had a blast. Therefore, writing a blog post fell very low on the To Do list last. I know, I know..... the nerve, of actually doing things rather than writing about them. I will say this - the age of 3 has some unique challenges. Sigh. But. The imagination, the games he makes up, the willingness to help me, the bizarre logic, the "I have a great idea" declarations? Make it all worth it. He is so much fun these days and it makes up for the difficult days when he seems to be under the mistaken impression that he knows more than I do.

In other news, Anjali got another haircut last week. Her hair is such a rat's nest, that for the time being, we are going to continue with regular haircuts until all of her "adult" hair comes in. At best, I am hoping for "mop-headed" in the meantime. Yes, if all her curls end up getting cut off and her hair ends up straight, I will be a little sad. However, having her walk around looking all raggedly would be worse. And here, we truly have a cultural difference between white folk and brown folk. Indians? Not only cut baby hair, they shave it. However, the hair gets all evened out and this why Indian babies/toddlers have such gorgeous hair.

Hmmm, I had wanted write more - there have been some interesting things on Oprah about teaching kids about money -- how to responsible for it and how to appreciate it. I have thoughts on this and want to hear yours as well. I feel a quandary that I suspect many folks are in as well. X and I are extremely appreciate of all that we have. ALL OF IT. We both grew up in very modest households, so we do not take anything we have for granted. How do we ensure our children appreciate what they have? Anyway, I cannot go in more detail right now because as it turns out, life is interfering. I have two kids motioning towards the door and crying "Go! Go!".

Simian Snappage

These Shoes Were Made for Splashing In.

Raggedy Anjali

Mr. Mischief? Indeed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmn, that was a fun post and your kids are gorgeous! You left me hanging there with your question though...

Anonymous said...

Adorable kids as always! Great question too. As usual I don't have a good answer. The thought rolling around in my head is that kids would be more inclined to appreciate their blessings when they see how blessed they are compared to others. Maybe regular volunteering with less fortunate people or sponsoring a child in a foreign country. If you could somehow convey the fact that the toy they HAD to have would provide needed medicine and food to a child who doesn't even know to wish for toys...

That is my best effort. I am curious to hear others answers.