August 28, 2007

Which came first? The chicken or the egg?

Well, I'm back to my normal self - "crabby, sarcastic". Which is infinitely better than "weepy, hormonal". I hope I've left the post-partum blues behind for good, because dude, that SUCKED.

The kids are just adorable these days. Anjali is very vocal and smiley - just as vocal as Arun was, but MUCH more smiley than he was at this age. Arun's still not rockin' an expansive vocabulary, but he is starting to do a few word combinations - to an entertaining effect. When X goes to bathroom, Arun stands outside the door yelling "Da PEE, Daddy! Da PEE, Daddy!" X is slightly repressed when it comes to bodily functions. Let's just say that my sense of hilarity is more refined when it comes to the toilet humor. ahem.

I have a ton of photos I need to upload to Flickr. I've read that it is best to send most photos to your account, as opposed to putting them directly on your blog. This helps decrease download times. I am curious as to whether anyone gives a hoot where I put photos? It's actually easier for me to send most of them to Flickr, then put a few out here. It cracks me up whenever someone gets all snooty about folks posting pics of their kids and whatnot. Why read someone's blog if you don't care about those things that are important to them? I love to see pics of cute kids, cute pets and even cute orchids from my favorite bloggers.

I've decided that in lieu of trying to carve entertaining tales out of the boring minutiae of my humdrum extistence, I'm going to start turning to shit sitting on my shelves. It's my lame attempt at saying "I AM interesting, dammit!" First up: books. I have quite an array of quirky books that I've picked up over the years and I am going to share those. They'll be under the category "commonly unique".

What follows is a series by Sloane Tanen. It's a weird set of photos with chicks in all sorts of odd and everyday situations - everything is in miniature. For example, one photo shows two chickens hanging out in a park with a basket of eggs - the captions reads" Caroline's eggs hadn't even hatched and already Victor's eyes were wandering". One of the things I get a special joy out of is the fact that some of the furniture is the very same I had in my first doll house. This book would also appeal to those who love miniatures - the odd humor is just the icing.
Bitter with Baggage Seeks Same: The Life and Times of Some Chicks


Going for the Bronze: Still Bitter, More Baggage



In finding the photos on Amazon, I discovered a new one has just been released! MUST HAVE IT.

Hatched: The Big Push from Pregnancy to Motherhood

5 comments:

Mamma Sarah said...

The problem with Flickr is that you have to make all your photos public so people searching on Flickr can see the photos and not the blog. I'd rather see the photos on the blog because then you can get the story with the photos at the same time. :-) Just my opinion. :-)

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

I've been craving some toast lately and was on the hunt for bread sans HFCS (which I didn't even know about till you posted so long ago). I wanted to give you the heads up that if you're ever in the mood for a change from your current brand-Whole Foods seems to have an extensive selection of breads with HFCS.

Ooh, and I usually do check Flickr, so if uploading to the blog is a PITA you could always say "new photos up on Flickr."

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Mamma Sarah,
I will probably do a combo - post some of my favorite snaps here, then post the rest out on Flickr.

Monkey,
We buy Pepperidge Farm Whole Grains Hearty Texture which doesn't have HFCS - I've seen a site that reports that it does, but it actually does not. I am scared to go into Whole Foods now that I've weaned myself off their cinnamon rolls!!!

Shalini said...

Oh, Hatched is HYSTERICAL. I didn't even know about the first two! I'll have to check those out.

Glad to hear you're feeling better : )

Blondie said...

OMG! I am laughing so hard at these books. LOVE IT. And I'm glad you enjoy my orchid photos. It's funny--a lot of my traffic comes from people looking at my photos. That's fine though. As long as at least ONE of them reads the actual post. :)