August 17, 2007

Didn't mama tell you there'd be days like this?

Yesterday was another dicey, stressful day. Arun refused to take a nap despite my best efforts. At one point, I realized I was getting very angry with him and knew that I just needed to let him cry for a bit while I calmed down. After 15 minutes, he was getting a little hysterical mixed with heartbreaking whimpers of "da mama.....da mama....." So, I went to get him and that made him even more hysterical as he tried to crawl away from me in the crib. I grabbed him and we came downstairs to sit on the steps. I held him tight and tried to soothe him. He kept crying and crying - it was building and he was becoming overwhelmed with emotion. Hoping to distract him, I asked if he would like to give Anjali a kiss. Through his tears he sniffled, "Yeah." So, we went over to Anju in the bouncy seat. Arun immediately calmed down as he kissed her, rubbed his head on hers, adjusted her blanket and patted her tummy over and over. He even giggled a little. I was so overcome with the incredible sweetness of this that I started crying.

I have the patience of a gnat, yet my toddler can find it within himself to display such love and affection even when he himself is distraught. As I was crying, Arun looked at me with his big gemstone eyes still full of his own leftover tears. He grabbed a tissue, wiped my eyes, then happily scampered to the trash to throw the tissue away. Of course, I cried some more.

As it turns out, I need those kids a little myself.

That afternoon, Arun and I finished off the last few pieces of my secret stash of Choxie Dark Flakey Truffles. Sometimes, even toddlers need chocolate on their bad days.

9 comments:

Blondie said...

OMG--so sweet. I want a hug from Arun, too.

Diana said...

Damn. They'll do that to you. Just when you think you absolutely can't take it one little bit more, they go and do something so indescribably amazing that you have no choice but to share your chocolate with them.

Evil.

Christy said...

The first weeks after giving birth are hard. I remember crying and crying and crying after I had Porgie. For the life of me, I can't remember why I cried so damn much. Everything was just so overwhelming.

I am glad you shared your chocolate with Arun.

Jenny said...

Mama doesn't tell you there's days like that, because she knows its all the more sweeter to have that epiphany for yourself. :)

Mojavi said...

anytime you need a distraction you call me :) I will bring you some choxie refills :)

aibee said...

How incredibly touching *sniff*

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

You know you can call me at the office! It's totally your right...who pays my salary, huh?

A. Nonny Mouse said...

Sorry you guys had a day. I have had a couple of those myself. This afternoon I was changing Lucy before feeding her, so she was crying, which woke her sister, making her cry. As I finished the diaper change, Lucy pooped again and then, then the phone rang. Good times.

Hope today is better.

Rozanne said...

So sweet! I'm glad you had some chocolate in the house!