June 13, 2012

Like Sand

I know that time passes quickly.

I know this.

And yet. I would like to request a reprieve.

Please?


Hopeless.  That's me.


Anjali finished Pre-K last month and was officially declared "ready for Kindergarten".  At the beginning of the school year, I was hesitant about the whole "Kindergarten thing" since she doesn't even turn 5 until July.  However, a few months ago when I brought her along to volunteer in Arun's class, it was obvious she was ready because she did the assigned activity right alongside each group that came to my station. Five times.  FIVE.  Also, Anju's Pre-K teacher was clearly NOT hesitant during our conference a few weeks ago when she made the recommendation to send her to Kindergarten.   (Also, I'd like to give huge props to my friend LuAnn. She is an AP English high school teacher and was able to give me perspective on what it would mean for Anjali to be one of the youngest in her her class.  Additionally, LuAnn gave me some great advice overall on challenging children vs. holding them back -- advice that I am using for Arun, as well. THANK YOU, LUANN. )


So, in the fall I will have a Kindergartner and a 1st Grader.


I remember a time when I thought I would never have a quiet moment to myself again.


However, those quiet moments came sooner than I thought since these days, Team Chaos often disappears in the house to play with each other.


Or, they disappear outside to play with neighbors.


They are the best of friends....... the worst of enemies.


There is no middle ground with these two.  They either hate each other with the passion of a thousand burning suns......  Or they simply adore each other.


Some days, I simply do not feel worthy of this life.

How did I get so lucky?

8 comments:

Me said...

I absolutely LOVE this post. You have awesome kids - in no small part due to their awesome mom. Make sure you pat yourself on the back once in a while for that.

Unknown said...

I love to hear how much they love each other, although it's nice to know it's not always perfect! My kids are going to be 3 years apart, but I hope they get along as well.

LuAnn said...

You're welcome. Keep on doin' your thing. :)

Average Jane said...

Your kids are so cool!

I'm another July baby who went to kindergarten at 5. It was kind of nice to graduate from high school at 17.

Christine said...

Would LuAnn be willing to spread her wisdom? I had someone just tell me that it's better to have the kid be on the top, but my instincts are telling me that Julia is better off being challenged than bored (I was bored through a lot of school and it was a Bad Thing for me). I'd rather her grades be decent than perfect if she's just cruising through school and not working at it.

kristen said...

Is it bad that I kind of want another baby just because this one is growing up too fast?
We (I) struggled with enrolling Caleb in kinder or waiting but his PreK teacher assured me he would be fine. My main thing was not starting off his formal education with the message that I didn't think he could do it. If he struggles and we need to readjust or repeat we will do what is best for him at that time. However the decision seems all consuming right now. Also I get so many shocked looks (from people who don't know Caleb)when they hear we are sending him to kinder. Trying to have confidence in our decision.

Beth said...

Adorable pictures! They all grow up too fast. I must say I adored kindergarten; first grade not so much. I too am sending my second (a June boy) off to K in two short months. I know he'll be fine, but yes, he's still my big cheeked, snuggler and it is hard to imagine some days.

CPA Mom said...

Same with my 7 and 9 year old: "They either hate each other with the passion of a thousand burning suns...... Or they simply adore each other."

And I will have a 2nd and 4th grader in the fall. WTH?