July 25, 2011

Goodbye Blue Sky

Pink Floyd, The Wall 1979

I spent Saturday at my friend Christy's along with our friends Celeste and LuAnn making Sand Hill Plum jelly and jam.  After making 48 half-pints and 9 full pints of jelly and jam, Christy and I collapsed onto her couch and watched Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. I do not buy many DVDs these days, but that is one I think I need to own. For my very own self. Because seriously? HILARIOUS.

Christy lives out in the country and as I left her house, these were the scenes with which I was greeted:


I do love living in the soul-sucking suburbs, but wow - I also miss bales of hay and gorgeous sunsets.

The day before, on Friday, because that is the day before Saturday, I loaded up Team Chaos and headed into Kansas City to catch the Monet exhibit at the Nelson-Atkins Museum. The exhibit features one of only two triptychs by Monet in the United States and it was well worth seeing.  

Also, there is nothing more cleansing to the soul than frantic screeching in hushed tones at your kids to remind them to keep their meaty paws off of the pretty, priceless works of art.

Art that may, or may not, resemble steaming piles of poo.

I was yelled at only once by a security guard to stop with the flash photography and my kids were yelled at only three times by several security guards.

However, my kids were yelled at by me no less than 2,432 times.  

At one point, I grumbled that I was never bringing them to the museum again and Arun started to CRY.  Then, he timidly said "If we go into this one room right here, then can we leave?  But still come back another day?"  And thus, we zoomed through the Chinese scrolls, then made a hasty retreat.

Finally!  An escape!  And shuttlecocks!

The nice thing about the suburban prairie is living between the city and country.  Having easy access to both is totally worth handing over my soul to the dark forces.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm jealous of your jam making experience! The frost got all the blossoms this year so no jam making for us. Sadly, pickles are just not the same!

The "steaming piles of poo" might be cool if they were a different color, say yellow?

Goofy Girl said...

I say NOT BAD for a first trip to the museum. They didn't break anything, and that's key.

...and my boys though the 'piles of poo' looked like "melting candles" (Chris) and "stack of pancakes" (Alex).

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Goofy Girl,
Too funny!

Yeah, we've done the Nelson and Kemper before, but they were stroller-bound! It's a totally different ballgame now.