March 14, 2011

A Great Day for Freedom

Pink Floyd, The Division Bell 1994

Today is Save a Spider Day!

As your official Ambassador of the Arachnids, you can rest assured that in our house, we arachnid enthusiasts observe this holiday with all the proper solemnity and respect due such an important cause.  Spiders in peril?  No problem.

However, you may find yourself wondering, "Exactly how does one go about saving a spider?"  Bully for you that Daniel, our Common Pinktoe tarantula (a. avicularia), thought we should provide a demonstration.  Thoughtful bloke, that Daniel.

Gentle Reader, without further ado, I present to you the following:

Kelli's Official 3-Step Process For Saving a Spider©

Items Needed:
1 Plastic Container
1 Sheet of Paper
1 Spider in Imminent Danger

You happen upon a spider in a state of jeopardy.
Oh noes! Halp!

Step 1:
Carefully place the plastic container over the spider.
Maybe this was not such a good idea. Is this container BPA-free?  

Step 2:
Slip the paper under the container and most importantly, beneath the spider.
Okay, guys.  This isn't funny now.

Step 3:
Congratulations!  The spider is now saved.
No worries, the spider will thank you later!
Seriously, guys.  NOT FUNNY. The walls are closing in.  


********************


A word of caution: this method works best with spiders.  Dogs?

Not so much.



This post is dedicated to Sofia, my first 8 legged baby, the one who started this fun little fascination of mine.

10 comments:

Amanda said...

Hilarious! I had to read twice. Thanks for the laugh.

Count Mockula said...

All right, the picture of the dog is hysterical. Thanks for sharing.

~ifer said...

Spiders and I have an understanding. They don't crawl on me, and I let them live. If they violate their part of the agreement, I am no longer contractually obligated to fulfill my part either. That being said, I think spiders are amazing, one of the most fascinating of creatures. I just like them ever-so-much more when they aren't on my skin.

Swistle said...

OMG THE DOG METHOD!! HA HA HA HA HA!!

Dawn said...

I, too, Have a long standing agreement with the arachnae world. We respect a clear DMZ that involves Never touching me.

That being said, I have used the method described to free misguided pilgrims in my house.

PS Rabbits will not "eat" spiders to save you from them. Cats will, maybe.

Cyndi said...

~ifer - I 100% completely agree with your comments. I don't kill a spider unless it comes in the house or on me. I have never thought to save a spider, but in the future when I find one inside, I'll think twice! Every summer, I have a couple that make webs on the porch. They are funny, i can watch it close then it will see me watching and duck and hide. I did have one in the house last year that went behind a picture frame, snuck out, and made me chase it over a couple walls before it met its untimely fate. He did make me laugh though, cause it was as if he knew I was chasing him! :)

meno said...

You're pretty funny! I like that.

Olivia said...

Hahaha...I love the picture of Lucy! She, however, does not look happy.

Unknown said...

That's hysterical, Kelli.

Unknown said...

Hooray for spider love! And you're hilarious.

We haven't had any spider fatalities in or around our house except for a few unavoidable black widow encounters. My husband tried to throw a shoe at a spider eons ago and my son is still reading him the riot act. Everything comes to a halt if my son finds a spider to save.