September 29, 2009

Specifically Random

I am sitting on a post.  I think it has the potential to induce cringing and eye-rolling.  It is also one of those Staying vs. Working posts and those make me itchy for some reason.  While I do not think it worthy of steam spewing from the ears, I am still not comfortable hitting publish just yet.  So, I will sit on it a bit more.  Like an egg.

At BlogHer, my roomies and I discussed our writing styles - Rita and I are firmly in the camp of writing a draft, then poring over it, whereas Blondie and Average Jane say they dash things off and let them go.  Which astounded me because it sounded so brazen and liberated. I simply cannot do that and I rarely write a post and hit "publish".  Well, except for this post, oddly enough.

Today, I did something I call Accidental Shoplifting. As you can guess, I got to the car and realized an item had snuck its way through without being hoisted onto the conveyer belt.  Sorry 'bout that, Jesus.  Darn it.  Well, since I have children, I feel compelled to be some sort of moral and ethical role model (the nerve!  I know!)  And yes, I feel a greater obligation to Do The Right Thing and march back to pay for it.  I did do that once when Arun was smaller and spent a good 20 minutes "making a point."  I ended up with a clear conscience and a screaming baby past his naptime. Now?  I have faith in the Universe that at some point, Costco, Target or Whoever has overcharged ME for something and that this is the Universe's way of restoring the Natural Order of Retail.  Lightning did not strike the car on the way home today, so I think we are all good.

In other news, I have been working on two very important projects this week while Team Chaos is in school expanding their minds and working their way into Ivy League futures.  I am working on Operation Paper and Operation Junk.  These two projects consist of me taking boxes, marching through every single room in our house and compiling ALL of the stray paper into one (or two or three) boxes, then sitting on the carpet and making my way through it - filing, shredding, etc.  Sadly, I actually came across unopened birthday cards (thanks CPAMom!!)  Even more sadly, I am an Aries which means I have an April birthday.  Operation Junk is a similar process except it involves all the random doodads that seem to fester in every single corner and nook in our house. Oh My GOD.  How many paperclips and stray post-it notes does one household need?  Not that many, I can assure you.

While I am excited about getting my house in order, I am sad to report that this makes for a very boring blog.  I am not Swistle, who manages to make de-cluttering look like a carnival ride of fun.

Squee.

11 comments:

Average Jane said...

I love Operation Paper because it inevitably turns up a bunch of magazines I haven't read, which is a nice reward for the effort.

Melanie said...

oh man on the accidental shoplifting, I did that Twice during the times when my daughter was in the infant car seat, I would stick the car seat in the cart and inevitably something would slide under it, and I would be mortified, I have always gone back in but i remember the last time it happened, i had two children in tears, just wanting to go home and go to bed, I was so worn out that i damn near cried walking back into that store.... good to know I am not alone though I always felt so guilty!

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Average Jane, YES. I can sit comfortably entertained on my toilet for WEEKS now. Heh.

Was that TMI? Probably so.

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Melanie,
That happened to me a few times - makeup products were the worst because they are so little.

Leah said...

Dude, I accidentally shoplift now and again and feel like CRAP for it. However, my laziness almost always wins.

I need to clean desperately, but I think I'm going to wallow in this sinus cold some more for a while.

D. said...

Please come execute Operation Paper at my house? I have a knack for collecting all things paper, and have to purge nearly weekly to keep even the mail pile under control. Bane of my existence.

jodifur said...

I'm firmly in the just post it camp. Which is probably why 1/2 of what I post is crap.

Swistle said...

I've accidentally shoplifted several times (the infant carseat problem described above, and also the stroller-basket hidden-under-the-feet problem, and also the problem of a baby snitching something and me not noticing), and what I've done is take it back the NEXT time I go to that store, IF I don't notice until, for example, all the kids are loaded into their car seats, or if going back might make me cry.

Olivia said...

I hate it when I accidentally shoptlift because my laziness always wins out. But then I feel guilty for using the product.

I need to do an Operataion Paper in my house. As much as I try to stay on top if it, there is just so much paper in our lives. Weren't we supposed to be a paperless society by now?

LuAnn said...

Well, I'm reading this on a break from students whose writing skills I'm trying to aid in increasing--and I enjoyed your writing. Thank you.

CPA Mom said...

well, Happy Birthday again then!

I did that with a belt for the kiddo once. Figured it was karma and I was too lazy to walk back in (I was parked WAY out).