September 3, 2009

Randomly Random Randomness

Yes, I really did have a classmate die from chicken pox in the 2nd grade. We were a small class, so as you can imagine, this was shocking. I would think it would seem natural that vaccines are a hot topic for me. Drowning is another hot topic since the summer before 1st grade, I had a classmate drown in a pond. Yep, you read that correctly. By the time I was in 3rd grade, I had already lost TWO classmates. And to begin with, Oskaloosa is small freaking town! We only had a total of 40 kids in our class.

Do not even get me started on lawnmower injuries - besides my own mother getting an injury from a flying piece of wire, I had a classmate with a missing finger. Last week, I completely lost my shit with X over our lawnmower and a safety concern I have with it. I am total freak when it comes to lawnmower safety.

Where was I? Oh.

Recently Lindsay at Suburban Turmoil had a nice post on her New Preschool Perspective. I went through this earlier this year when mothers at Arun's school were switching their kids left and right to other pre-K programs. Because of his October birthday, Arun will not be eligible for a pre-K program until next year, so I have some time to think about this. Then, I began to question the program at Arun's school - was it good enough? Fortunately, I had myself a V-8 and realized that ultimately, it does not matter. I truly believe that a pre-K program is not important. And I reminded myself why we are even doing the current little school right now - it is fun and convenient for us. It provides a nice break in routine for 2 days a week. We love the teachers. We like supporting the school itself. That is it. Nothing more. As such, the pre-K program will be the same for us and we decided not to switch Arun next year.

******************

Yesterday, I had a Life's Perfect Moment with Team Chaos. We went to Overland Park's Botanical Gardens and just hung out. That was it. Just hanging. No agenda other than watching frogs, turtles, birds, bees, butterflies, moths and some skittering lizard/skink/newt thingies. It was fabulous and relaxing. While the kids dug in dirt and rocks, I sat watching hawks floating in the air, feeling the cool breeze on my arms.

And I enjoyed just being.






7 comments:

Count Mockula said...

Your kids really seem to play sweetly together. The pictures of them holding hands are precious.

Olivia said...

Sounds like a beautiful day.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who doesn't think pre-K is something to sweat over. As long as the kid is having fun and learning a bit, I'll be happy.

Anonymous said...

Kindergarten isn't much better If this was a preHarvard track maybe I'd be worried but I can't get that worked up over his academic excellence in Kindergarten. He is a smart kid he is almost reading and that is all stuff he learned at home. I have different goals, like not crying the whole time he is off meeting new people and we are both learning to be without one another. This motherhood journey is hard.

We have had three drownings in our city this summer all kids under 4 in backyard pools. I have a lot of issues with pools.

But my freak thing is trunks. Kids playing and dying in trunks. I don't like it I always lock my car no matter how small the town.. because I"m freaked about kids 'hiding' crawling in and out of cars..

flybunny said...

Love the botanical gardens. We didn't get out there this summer and I am sad. Maybe this weekend. They also have a beautiful walk during Christmas with lots of lights such and the girls loved it last year - all of them!

I also don't get the fuss. I have so many other things on my mind, I cannot get worked up over Pre-k. Now getting worked up over middle school - whole other ballgame but not for the reasons you might expect!

Rozanne said...

I've said it before, but your kids are just so incredibly sweet and photogenic. (Love the frog photo as well.)

I remember getting a pretty nasty lawnmower injury when I was a kid (back in the days before bike helmets and car seats). My dad left the lawnmower in the yard and went inside for a bit. It had this totally exposed muffler and for some reason I felt compelled to touch it. I ended up with a second-degree burn on my hand. I was probably about 4 or 5 years old. My parents absolutely freaked out. These days I imagine some folks probably would have thought that grounds for a lawsuit against Toro.

Marathon Mom said...

Love the pictures!

jodifur said...

love the title of this post