March 9, 2009

What are you supposed to do if you see an
endangered animal eating an endangered plant?

Try explaining to a 3 year old why there are no dinosaurs at the zoo. Apparently, the answer "Because they are all DEAD." does not suffice and actually, results in further questioning.

Recently, I have been doing some research for FoodieBytes. While digging through tons of food blogs in LA, I happened across a lovely site called The Delicious Life - chock full of yummy photos of food, I dare you to read this site and not get an appetite. While digging through her archives, I came across a link she posted for Peruvian Chicken Soup. I made this soup on Friday evening and oh MY, this is not your grandma's chicken soup. I mean, I suppose it is your grandma's chicken soup if you happen to be Peruvian, but yeah. Whatever.

This soup was so satisfying - the lime added a special tangyness to it and the crunchy, chewy bits of cilantro really brought it all home for me. The smell of the vegetables simmering all day long added a special atmosphere. I cannot wait to make this again.


While I cannot claim to be any sort of photographer, like most of us with a camera, I enjoy playing around with mine. Over the weekend, I bought some lovely strawberries - not only were they fun to eat, I also had fun messing around with the macro settings on my camera. While I think Annie Leibowitz can safely sleep at night, I still did not think it too shabby for a point n' click being operated by an idiot.


Also, I found these guys hanging out on the floor and thought it would be a silly thing to snap. I was right.

6 comments:

Moderndayhermit said...

That looks incredible! Your photos are gorgeous!

Marathon Mom said...

Be sure and make the Peruvian chicken soup when I'm over.

Anonymous said...

Friday evening and oh MY, this is not your grandma's chicken soup. I mean, I suppose it is your grandma's chicken soup if you happen to be Peruvian, but yeah. Whatever.

Can't. Stop. Laughing.

Anonymous said...

Those strawberry photos totally have me salivating right now... I want some!

meno said...

There's something very sensual about pictures of food. MMmmmmm.

Jaclyn Harr said...

I have a friend who went to South America and brought home Peruvian "spice balls" for me a few years back, along with a chicken soup recipe. I followed the recipe exactly (a rarity for me) and it was absolutely delicious. Except that, in my husband's words, "the author of the recipe liked boiled eggs way more than I do". I think I ended up with about six boiled eggs sitting by themselves in the pot with a bit of broth when all the leftovers were finished.