February 19, 2009

What's in the bag?

Handbag Thursday [hānd'bāg' thûrz'dā]
-noun
1. A Canal Street knockoff of Jodifur's Shoe Friday.
2. A lame attempt at regular blog fodder by invoking my own accessorized day o' the week.
3. A frivolous little feature that allows me to talk about handbags every week. What's not to love about that?
-------------------------------------------------

I find that it is vital to have at least one handbag for each of the ten types of social occasion:

Very Formal, Not So Formal, Just a Teensy Bit Formal, Informal But Not That Informal, Every Day, Every Other Day, Day Travel, Night Travel, Theater, and Fling. - Miss Piggy

A few weeks back, I asked Jodifur to do a Handbag Sunday that could bookend her lovely little Shoe Friday gig. She called me a lazy whore and told me to do it myself. Well, maybe she did not put it precisely in that way. I forget because I was drunk. Or something.

Actually, come to think of it I seem to remember her being very positively generous about the whole thing. Anyway..... without further ado, I present Handbag Thursday. Because I am nothing if not a brazen copycat.


I decided to use this purse as the inaugural Handbag Thursday. I bought it at a little boutique in Marblehead MA for about $40 in 2004. I still love this purse and when I am done with the whole toting of toys and tissues*, I hope little purses are back in style so I can use it again. It has been a great purse and very sturdy - this thing has traveled all over the country and has taken a beating, yet is still in great condition. I think it is a valuable lesson in that a nice, durable handbag does not have to be an inordinately expensive one. Although, not that there is anything necessarily wrong with an expensive handbag. Gulp.

____________________________________

And...........there you have it. Handbag Thursday! Not every post will be long like this one. Also, I am certainly open to posting snaps of your own handbags - just email me (cagey333ATgmailDOTcom) if you would like to be included.

I would like to extend a special thank-you to Jodi for giving me this idea and granting her gracious permission for the knock-off. It is obvious she is having much fun with her Shoe Friday, I suspect I will have as much fun with my own little accessorized day o' the week.

*Believe it or not, I do not carry a diaper bag and have not for well over a year now - I have a Fleurville Re-Run Micropod which usually hangs out in the car.

3 comments:

Mojavi said...

i am totally sending you pics of my purses :)

Mojavi said...

i am totally sending you pics of my purses :)

jodifur said...

oh please, I'm so so thrilled you did this and honored and I'm sending you a handbag!