February 19, 2009

What's in the bag?

Handbag Thursday [hānd'bāg' thûrz'dā]
1. A Canal Street knockoff of Jodifur's Shoe Friday.
2. A lame attempt at regular blog fodder by invoking my own accessorized day o' the week.
3. A frivolous little feature that allows me to talk about handbags every week. What's not to love about that?

I find that it is vital to have at least one handbag for each of the ten types of social occasion:

Very Formal, Not So Formal, Just a Teensy Bit Formal, Informal But Not That Informal, Every Day, Every Other Day, Day Travel, Night Travel, Theater, and Fling. - Miss Piggy

A few weeks back, I asked Jodifur to do a Handbag Sunday that could bookend her lovely little Shoe Friday gig. She called me a lazy whore and told me to do it myself. Well, maybe she did not put it precisely in that way. I forget because I was drunk. Or something.

Actually, come to think of it I seem to remember her being very positively generous about the whole thing. Anyway..... without further ado, I present Handbag Thursday. Because I am nothing if not a brazen copycat.

I decided to use this purse as the inaugural Handbag Thursday. I bought it at a little boutique in Marblehead MA for about $40 in 2004. I still love this purse and when I am done with the whole toting of toys and tissues*, I hope little purses are back in style so I can use it again. It has been a great purse and very sturdy - this thing has traveled all over the country and has taken a beating, yet is still in great condition. I think it is a valuable lesson in that a nice, durable handbag does not have to be an inordinately expensive one. Although, not that there is anything necessarily wrong with an expensive handbag. Gulp.


And...........there you have it. Handbag Thursday! Not every post will be long like this one. Also, I am certainly open to posting snaps of your own handbags - just email me (cagey333ATgmailDOTcom) if you would like to be included.

I would like to extend a special thank-you to Jodi for giving me this idea and granting her gracious permission for the knock-off. It is obvious she is having much fun with her Shoe Friday, I suspect I will have as much fun with my own little accessorized day o' the week.

*Believe it or not, I do not carry a diaper bag and have not for well over a year now - I have a Fleurville Re-Run Micropod which usually hangs out in the car.


Mojavi said...

i am totally sending you pics of my purses :)

Mojavi said...

i am totally sending you pics of my purses :)

jodifur said...

oh please, I'm so so thrilled you did this and honored and I'm sending you a handbag!