March 16, 2008

What's cookin', good lookin'?

I love, LOVE scallops. Over the years, I have tried so many times to make them. I know how to cook them without them getting all rubbery-like (the trick is to pull 'em off the stove before you think they are actually done! You will swear they must be underdone, but trust me, they are not.) However, I was never satisfied with the recipes I tried. Yesterday, X did some digging around and found a yummy recipe. Oh my ever lovin' Nemo - these things are awesome. He found the recipe here on Dlife.com. We used a chili-infused sesame oil, but other than that, we did not make any modifications.

Indian Style Scallops

Ingredients:
1 pound seas scallops, 1-inch thick, rinse and pat dry
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

Instructions:
  1. Put the scallops and oil in a bowl and toss to mix. Heat a nonstick skillet over high heat.
  2. Place half of the scallops in the skillet. Cook for 2 minutes then turn over and cook for another 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and wipe with paper towels. Repeat this process with the other half of the scallops.
  3. Mix together the orange juice, curry powder, pepper, and salt in a bowl then pour into the skillet. Cook for 1 minute over medium-high heat. Serve the sauce on the side.

Use more or less curry powder to achieve the desired spiciness.

3 comments:

Moderndayhermit said...

I've attempted to like scallops but I have yet to be successful. I must admit to only have tried them once and I must have over-cooked them. I saw some beauties at the market this weekend that I wanted to pick up but was afraid I wouldn't like them.

I tried the Manchego cheese you have mentioned. I'd been wanting to try it for a while but didn't want to spend $16 for a trial. I found a smaller portion and ate it with some fresh raspberries for dessert last night...AMAZING.

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

Sounds yummy! MDH, I dislike large scallops. I find the tiny (cheaper) ones to be more flavourful.

Moderndayhermit said...

I'll try those, Monkey! Thanks!