Also, one of my very favorite things that I look forward to every Thanksgiving and Christmas is my Great Aunt's weird, whipped cream cranberry salad that includes pecans and grapes. It is an odd confection, but it is so yummy.
Great Aunt Joan's Weird, Whipped Cream Cranberry Salad
- 12 oz fresh cranberries
- 2 cups red grapes (halved)
- 1 1/2 cups mini-marshmallows
- 2 cups pecans pieces (not chopped)
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup white sugar (divided into 1/2 cup portions)
- Wash cranberries and drain. Then, grind cranberries in food chopper until finely chopped.
- Place ground cranberries into a bowl, cover with 1/2 cup of sugar and let sit. (Optional: you can add another 1/4 cup of sugar in this step if you prefer sweeter cranberries.)Whip the cream with 1/2 cup of sugar until you get firm peaks.
- In a large bowl, add the sugared cranberries, grapes, marshmallows, pecans and whipped cream together. Stir by hand with a spatula and let it sit overnight.
- Before serving, you can add more pecan pieces for garnish and display (my great-aunt would arrange them in a circle in the center of the bowl.)