December 8, 2006

What are you craving?

Yesterday, was one of the worst days ever. The night before, Insomnia reached a fever pitch and I was up from 2am to nearly 6am. Then, during the day, I ran out of Patio Burritos, then I downed the very last can of that Life Giving Elixir known as Schweppes Ginger Ale. And X is out of town. Fortunately, Arun has been peachy keen lately - happily playing, stomping his feet with glee and going to sleep at all the regular times. Reminding me again, the woes of pregnancy are certainly for a worthy cause.

Moving on to happier topics - as tired as I am of my Bad Attitude, I can only imagine how you all are.............

The Rancid Raves Holiday Food Edition

Last week, I had posted about the things that get me in the Christmas Spirit. I thought it was interesting how many commenters noted food items. I hadn't even thought of that! While I like sweets as much as the next person, until I started breastfeeding, I had never really had cravings for sweets. My family just isn't that much into food, perhaps? I just don't have a lot of emotional tie-ins with food, other than coffee (X and I are really into coffee and trying out new shops) and Mexican food (it's the one consistent food from my childhood - from my dad making refried beans from scratch, to special meals at our favorite, now-defunct Mexican joint in Lawrence.)

AnyWAY, regarding Holiday Food, I can only think of 3 things that remind me of Christmas - Olathe Grandma's Cheese Ball, Olathe Grandma's Melt-in-Your-Mouth Peanut Brittle, and my Great Aunt J's Weird Whipped Cream Pecan, Cranberry and Grape Salad. However, I have discovered a few things in my adulthood that I look forward to each Christmas Season.

Eggnog: I love a little glass of eggnog. YUM. But, it was hard to find a good pre-made one - until just the other day at Hen House when I happened across a sample of GoodNatured Farms Egg Nog. Oh. My. It's just the perfect hint of spice, slightly sweet (but not cloyingly so) and not so thick. Heaven. All it's missing is a bit o' alcohol. sob

Peppermint Bark: I discovered this just last year, thanks to Average Jane - she brought some of her step-mother's concoction and seriously, I swooned. I bought some Ghiradelli peppermint bark this year, but it doesn't compare so I shall be forced to try and make it after all.

Fruitcake: The best I have found so far is here in Kansas City at Andre's. Hen House also sells a damned good one at a much more reasonable price - I believe the brand is called Mollie's.

Kifli: My friend J's mom is 2nd generation Romanian-American and I was introduced to the wonder of the kifli from her in my college years. Oh My God. HEAVEN. They still send gift boxes of these cookies when they get a chance during Christmas and we inhale them. I did make them myself for the first time last year and I didn't do a half-bad job, actually. They are a lot of work, but worth it.  I'll let him decide.

Almond Roca: I associate these with Las Vegas - when I was a kid, we often would go to visit my Grandpa and step-grandma C during that break right after the Big Day. They usually had a can of these lying around. I usually don't let myself buy these - I only want a few, but the can is so damned big I can't ever make it through them all. This year, I splurged and hopefully, I can give some away before they go bad. Heads up, Tuesday Playgroup! I'm gunning for you.


6 comments:

Cheryl said...

Oh, man. Holiday food. Now you're speaking my language. Let's see: giblet gravy with no actual giblets, crab stuffing, twice-baked potatoes, and Mrs. Smith's apple pie. Crap, now I'm hungry.

Anonymous said...

Along with the experiences tied with food, I think my mom unfortunately gave my sister and I happy experiences tied with shopping. This has led to bad, bad things.

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

I like the soft German cookies with the white icing.

And the stollen something or other I got at TJs was excellent.

Goofy Girl said...

Leftover brownies? What are those? ;-)

You HAVE to make more kifli this year! YUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMM!

Lisa said...

Leftover brownies.... YOu mean some people HAVE to throw away brownies because they don't eat them fast enough and they get stale... (Staring at you in disbelief.)

Seriously? I think its very very wise to not be so food-oriented. That's one good thing about my upbringing... My parents definitely didn't love with food.

Anonymous said...

I bought some nog yesterday. Just run-of-the mill stuff. Holy shite, does it pack a mighty caloric punch--190 calories for half a cup!!!!!!!

I wonder if the high-end stuff is even more heart-attack-in-a-punchglasslike.

(It's late and I'm no longer able to formulate sentences.)