May 4, 2010

Tales of a 4th Class Nothing.

It is never too late to be who you might have been. ~ George Eliot
I was born in April of 1971.  For the mathematically challenged, that means that a few weeks back, I turned 39.  A number that I particularly enjoy as it is divisible by 3 and that is my favorite number of all. (Totally Tangential: Overall, I really do not enjoy most prime numbers EXCEPT for the numbers 2, 3, 5, 13, and 89.  They don't bother me.  However, I loathe my birth year. It will always bother me that I was not born in a nice, even year . 1970 would have been nice.  And yes, I can concede to the fact that perhaps, maybe, I have over-thought ALL OF THIS. )

To be sure, gazing at the chronological cliff that is 40 Years Old does not convince me that I am wiser, but it certainly makes me older.  Some days I feel it.  Most days I do not.  I still have fun with current music, books, events, television and other things pop culture.  Sure, I have no earthly idea who Justin Beiber is, but I suspect it will not matter.  And if it does matter, US Magazine will keep me apprised of the situation (another win for gossip rags because my 87 year old grandma is actually pretty hip and she can point to her devoted People subscription.  Yes, the very same grandma who actually answers her cell phone.)

I have to admit this: when you turn 39, it is difficult to not get self-reflectively maudlin.  Particularly in a year that has seen a fair share of clearing out and cleaning up - and I am not simply talking about my impending garage sale efforts.  I am talking life.  The sort of thinking where you ponder what sort of friend, mother and wife you would like to be as you hit another momentous decade.  I have less than a year to get my ducks in a row (mmmm, DUCK.  Now I'm hungry. )  No worries, I will resist the urge to dig out yet more belly button lint.  You have seen enough lately.

That said, George Eliot's quote is something to live by.

Here is the only segue you are going to receive in this post. Live with it.

I have been on a reading rampage lately.  And I have found that some books that get hype?  Deserve the hype.  In the past month, I have read one 5 star book after another.....  I finished The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire.  Holy crap, folks - read these booksAll of these reads were totally worth the hoopla.  Guaranteed winners. (Note: if you attempt to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I recommend giving yourself time to read the first 50 pages or so in one reading.  Also, take care with the Swedish names, it is well worth the investment in getting the cast of characters down.)  I have recently began The Lightning Thief series - I never thought I would be one to be reading so much young adult fiction.  Huh.

At the beginning of the year, I made several Reading Resolutions for myself.  I have a number in my head of the books I would like to read but primarily, I want my reads this year to matter.  If I am reading a book that I am not enjoying, I give myself permission to put it down, or to skim it.  The last Resolution I made to myself was to re-read my favorites.  So far, I have re-read A Wrinkle in Time, The Wizard of Oz and the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankenweiler.  I think for a reader, there is something inspiring in re-reading something that stands the test of time.  Also, the childhood re-reads take no time - I read and finish them on lazy Sunday mornings while the kids are sleeping.

Before I hit publish, so that I can get back to clearing more cabinet space in my quest for a profitable garage sale (anyone need martini glasses?  Irish coffee mugs? champagne flutes?), I thought I would throw out some Simian snaps.

Team Chaos has been utterly adorable lately.  Adorable. They are so easy these days and I am still a little startled at how grown-up Arun has gotten to be.  Most mornings, he comes down already dressed to the nines and ready to start his day.  Who replaced my bug-eyed baby boy with this kid? Also, I am glad that Manoj and I are both home at this point in their lives so that we can relish all the sweet things they say and do.  Yes, I did just type that.  Yes, Manoj working from home has its challenges for us, but I am glad that he gets to share in the experience of being a work-at-home-parent, too.

Sleeping Beauty
We will never tire of happening upon Anjali sleeping in the oddest places and position.  
And I will never tire of snapping photos of her doing this.

Money Well Spent
Arun still relishes getting all dolled up in full vampiric regalia.

Chicken 65
This wee demi-desi loves Chicken 65, an Indian buffet staple.

Cellmates
Swear to God, we do not use the kennel as a time-out spot.  At least not for the puppy.  

Does this snap even need a caption?
No.  No, it does not.

8 comments:

Me said...

I LOVED your segue! :-)
Also the kiddie snaps - I totally thought that first one of Anjali was a photo of a younger you in the thumbnail. They're really awesome pics.

Average Jane said...

I love that Arun has a Dracula costume!

Paula said...

I take full credit. They're my grandkids.

D. said...

Thank you for shunning transitions! Makes me feel less guilty for being too lazy to come up with good ones. ;)

Also, Anjali sleeping on that chair? Too adorable.

Also, I just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last week, and it WAS fantastic. Waiting for my dad to read the next one before he hands it off to me.

See? The word "also" is a GREAT transition.

meno said...

I'm going to rearrange that quote so as to give myself some hope;

It's never to late to try and figure out who you might have been.

There, now i have more time.

And Happy Birthday, a few weeks ago.

LuAnn said...

Terrific pics. I'm on The Hunger Games. Your foray into your forties next year will be just fine.

Moderndayhermit said...

hahahaha, I love that, "I really do not enjoy most prime numbers".

I have a thing with numbers, mostly because I was born on 6/6/77 at 3:33am. I get excited just seeing it in print.

I'm loving your book resolutions. I've been reading more again and I'm quite pleased about it.

Kids - adorable, as usual. Haha, I love Arun's costume.

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was an awesome movie. Not sure if it's still in theaters (saw it a couple of months ago, I think) but I highly recommend netflixing the Swedish original. I bought the book after but didn't have a chance to get started before everything had to be packed up etc. It's first on my list when my books get delivered.