April 25, 2005

Are we really what we read?

It seems I’ve been tagged. While this may not bode well for a deer, in my case, it merely means that Rozanne has chosen to ask me some questions that are literally of the literary kind.

1. You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be saved?
Of course, my first instinct was to say Fahrenheit 451! Seriously though, I would want the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin to be saved. That would be beautiful irony, right?

2. Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
I spent my 20s searching for a present-day Mr. Darcy or Rhett Butler. Close, but no cigar. Sorry, X!

3. The last book you purchased?
The Corrections by Jonathon Franzen. Oddly enough, it is my 2nd time purchasing it. I had already read it and sold it several years back but it was recently chosen for one of my book clubs. I prefer to use the library these days, but I often still buy books for the clubs because of time constraints.

4. What are you currently reading?
I am currently reading A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth and State of Fear by Michael Crichton. One is for brain nutrition, the other for brain candy. Both are serving their purposes equally well at the moment.

5. Five books you would take to a deserted island? Since several others asked this question “cheated” by choosing anthologies, I will follow suit.
a. The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

b. The Harry Potter series –the Spanish version. Since I have read and listened to the English version several times, the Spanish version could prove interesting all the while allowing me to bone up on my old Espanol.

c. A Suitable Boy – at the rate it is taking me to get through it, I need to be stranded on an island to finish it!

d. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith – This is one of my very favorite books – a beautiful example of triumph over adversity. I can’t imagine never reading it again in my life so to the island it must go.

e. Robinson Crusoe – I am attempting to wax poetic here. Why not?

I tag Jane , Mojavi , Goofy Girl and Dorothy to continue this game, if they wish!

No comments: