April 27, 2007

Is one man's junk, another man's treasure?

Apparently, I had quite a bit o' Garage Sale Gold lurking in my closets and basement. I sold so much stuff in my garage sale today, that my mom went ahead and took her table home and I packed another table to just get it out of the way because it was empty. SCORE. Hopefully, I can unload some more "gold" tomorrow.

So, this week sorta sucked. Mostly, the usual 3rd Trimester Pregnancy Woes mixed with a Feverish Teething Toddler. Not really post worthy. However, yesterday I found out that my blood glucose test came back really freakin' close so I have to go in for the 3 Hour Big Kahuna blood glucose test to make sure I don't have gestational diabetes. Obviously, I hope I don't have gestational diabetes although that would go a long, long ways in explaining that I really DO feel crappy and that it's not just my head messing with me and I'm really not a Big Whiny Baby Really! I'm not!.......Bah....... It probably wouldn't be such a bad thing to walk in X's Diabetic Shoes for the next 10 weeks, either. Folks, he BLOWS me away. Since he was diagnosed in January 2006 he has only said "Why me?" once. ONCE. Other than that, he has buckled down with his eating and is now a 4-5 times per week Gym Junkie - he controls his diabetes completely through diet and exercise. No drugs. I hate to say I'm proud of him, because that sounds condescending, but holy crap - I am so impressed with his tenacity and self-control.

Anyway, I have some confessions going on today over at the BooBlog. I used to be a Rockstar Parent, but then I had children of my own and it all went to hell.

12 comments:

Leah said...

Oh, the 3 hour test sucked. I had the same issue. Do you have to follow the Special Diet for 3 days beforehand too? Gross. It was way too much food for me, and they were so militant that I had to EAT IT ALL, and I was like "I can't fit any more eggs and bread in, OH MY GOD."

I didn't have GD, though I did have a big baby which means my risk is higher for diabetes. I hope you don't have it, though I am incredibly impressed by X's dedication. I would whine a whole effing lot.

Cagey said...

Leah,
I don't have to do a special diet, but I do have fast for 12 hours. 12 hours! I am getting horrible heartburn these days when my stomach is empty and therefore, need to eat lots of small meals to keep at bay. Can't wait to see what happens on Monday, yeehaw.

Me said...

I had the same issue with the 3-hour test. Sorry to say, but the 12-hour fast DID suck. Fortunately I didn't have it, but was "close" so the Doc told my pie-craving pregnant self to stay away from the sweets, damn it.

Dee said...

Ugh...hope the test goes well. I don't think I could fast for 12 hours and I'm not even pregnant!

Cagey said...

Me,
Last week I had to do the 12 hour fast TWICE. TWICE because the stupid nurse at my doctor's office couldn't get any blood after FIVE pricks the first attempt. FIVE. Then, I had to fast AGAIN and go directly into the lab.

Dee,
Most of the fasting is done overnight. The part that sucks is that the fasting ruins my day because I am pretty sick by the time all the bloodletting and such is done.

meno said...

I love garage sales, as long as i am not there. I am ever amazed at the crap people will buy.

I had to do the glucose test too. So sorry that you have to as well.

Christy said...

I sure hope that you don't have gestational diabetes. You don't need anymore stress or worry - especially in the 3rd trimester.

We really need to have a yard sale. My husband is the biggest pack rat. He absolutely will not throw his crap away, but maybe he'll sell it.

Modern Day Hermit said...

Oh man, I am so sorry to hear about you having to go through all that crap, I couldn't imagine having to fast 12-hours while pregnant!

Kudos to your husband for taking control of his health!

I need to go through our house to get rid of stuff, dear ol' husband is a pack rat, I'm literally taking a 3 day vacation from work to get rid of shit.

Mike said...

I can't speak much to the diabetes, good luck! We had our garage sale last week and also sold a ton of stuff and did way better than expected. Apparently KC is a great place to get rid of crap this time of year.

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

Sorry to hear about the gestational diabetes. You and the baby are going to be okay, though, right???

I'm also, really impressed by X controlling it to diet and exercise and not whining about it. S.A. men are hott but genetics hands them a nasty lot-my father has the *exact same issue* despite a lifetime of clean living and a wiry skinny frame that rivals a soccer player. Borderline diabetic and on Lipitor. Am I bitter? Yeah, I really am, but I am so proud of my dad for the way he's fighting it in a positive manner without a peep of protest. Those are the people, IMO, who have a really great shot of beating the odds.

Mamma Sarah said...

I hated the 3 hr test. The first one was bad enough because I don't eat refined sugar. I think it's just a way for people to get more money out of the pregos. I'm sure you'll be fine. Hopefully they scheduled the test early enough in the day so you don't have to suffer too much.

Diana said...

Condolences. I had to do it with Sara's pregnancy, too. Hated the fasting as I'd get queasy if I didn't eat as soon as I woke. Then drinking that sugar bomb that made my glucose scream to the ceiling then my poor pancreas went into tetany trying to squeeze every bit of insulin out STAT. Good old pancreas came through like a champ, though. Otherwise, I'd have whined plenty.

Very, very, very best wishes for a strong and hearty pancreas for you, too.