November 18, 2006

What's Love got to do with it?

6 years ago, X and I went on our first date. That is, after I confirmed with my buddy CG that X had indeed asked me out on a date. I quickly impressed X with my knowledge of a decent South Indian place (that has since gone even further south, and not in a good way) and we met for a nice dinner. We've been together ever since.

The years have had their ups and downs. His mother died at an early age from diabetes early on in our relationship. His company faced some major milestones, in-fighting, and settled a multi-million ludicrous lawsuit. As evidenced by yesterday's post, I job-hopped left and right. We each bought a house separately while single. Then we got married and bought a house together. And sold the other homes. We had a baby. And then, earlier this year X was diagnosed with diabetes. It's weird to even say that he has diabetes now because he is totally controlling his blood sugar with diet and exercise.

Frankly, I've never been prouder of him. Only once, only once, did he ask "Why me?". For someone who was so conscientious of his diet, save for the occasional dessert, it was a blow that he was diagnosed. However, like usual, X faced a bad situation straight on with quiet dignity. He faithfully goes to the gym and is in the best shape of his life. I tease him that it is ironic that he actually got hotter since we got married.

I don't know what the future holds for us. We live what could be perceived by many to be a risky life, but X has always wanted to be an entrepreneur and I would never discourage him from doing what he loves to do most.

So, while I don't know what the future holds, I do know this: Life really sucks sometimes, but it's sure as hell easier knowing you can completely and wholeheartedly trust the hand that's holding yours.

6 comments:

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

My dad has it too. Cursed Indian genes. And is on Lipitor, despite being reed thin, fit, not eating anything fatty and being an all around general health food nut.

Some things you can't escape, but it's how you deal with them that matters.

Very sorry for X's loss.

meno said...

Awww, that was very sweet.
And how nice for you that he is hotter now. :) I wish my husband would go to the gym.
And you all should go for your dreams, because one way or the other, you'll be fine.

alyndabear said...

Good for him! It's a big lifestyle change coping with a change like that.

You're a great match for one another. And obviously very supportive.

Makes me all warm and smooshy.

And hungry for some Indian food. Thanks, Cagey!

Wordnerd said...

"Life really sucks sometimes, but it's sure as hell easier knowing you can completely and wholeheartedly trust the hand that's holding yours." I couldn't have said it better myself. Wonderful, wonderful post.

Brit said...

sometimes I wonder why I bother posting when I could just come here and pirate all you material.

amen, sister.

Diana said...

Oh, big, fat, smooshy hugs to you both for turning it into, well, not a benefit, but in X becoming healthier than he was before getting the diagnosis.

I'm just so proud for you!